Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

52 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Sorry to see you go.  I know, the whole sound amplification causing so much of the score these days seems...wrong on every level.  I have hope that someone will see this for what it is but for now I just accept it for what it is.  Take some time off, check it out in a few years..you never know.

If none other here, my own included, is worth repeating, this is.

Edited by garfield

Started 1974 and walked away 1992-2002 and partially came back. Not a big a fan as before but my life is busier than before so fair trade. Everybody has their own idea of what is entertaining to them. And kudos for you to explain why you are leaving without getting insulting like others I’ve seen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Started 1974 and walked away 1992-2002 and partially came back. Not a big a fan as before but my life is busier than before so fair trade. Everybody has their own idea of what is entertaining to them. And kudos for you to explain why you are leaving without getting insulting like others I’ve seen.

Yea, Jim.  I never understood the idea of burning the bridge completely when anyone doing any serious self-reflection of one's self will recognize that things change and feelings, too.

Take some time off.  Taste the water another time.  But don't burn the bridge unless one's 100% sure they'll never like it again.

• Like 1

Well that was certainly "electrifying". In what world could this activity succeed and appeal to Mr Kimber and at the same time be relevant to the performers? 

Perhaps jumping from CD to DVD/online videos could have increased his level of engagement.

Then again, when you introduce yourself just to say goodbye you lose all kinds of credibility.

• Haha 2

At finals this year I ran into an ex-DCP poster.  His seats were only a few above mine.  He used to post a lot, then he was gone.

Turns out that he couldn't get used to the vitriol and nastiness of the boards.  This is no wishy-washy thin-skin and he caved.  Good thing he only quit DCP and not drum corps.

Hard to castigate a guy with 15 years experience because he posts here first to say goodbye when there are fans who have quit DCP because of that castigation.

Maybe a little "pot, meet kettle" going on in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ray Kimber said:

For several years my delight with Drum Corps has been waning.

My first experience with Drum Corps was in 2004 at the invitation of Dr. Thomas Root.  It was electrifying for me.

Have you considered the possibility that drum corps was already bad in 2004?

That was the first year that DCI allowed amplification (of pit instruments and of voice). I had not been following drum corps closely for a few years, but a friend heard about the first "Big, Loud & Live" cinema broadcast, and we attended, only to be shocked and disappointed by the amplified voice in the performances by Crown and others.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Yea, Jim.  I never understood the idea of burning the bridge completely when anyone doing any serious self-reflection of one's self will recognize that things change and feelings, too.

Take some time off.  Taste the water another time.  But don't burn the bridge unless one's 100% sure they'll never like it again.

This, and what Jim said.

Not a huge fan of some of the stuff going on with modern-day drum corps... but hey, it's a different era, different game. 

Overall, still a fan. If that ever changes, I hope I go out with the class shown by the OP here.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Really though I'm not sure drum corps ever recovered from the addition of contrabass bugles back in the 1960s. That's when it all started going south.

58 minutes ago, Algernon said:

Well that was certainly "electrifying". In what world could this activity succeed and appeal to Mr Kimber and at the same time be relevant to the performers? 

Perhaps jumping from CD to DVD/online videos could have increased his level of engagement.

Then again, when you introduce yourself just to say goodbye you lose all kinds of credibility.

Really?  Where else would you have him vent?  What other space has the credibility and age of DCP?

If he wants someone to hear, this is the place.  Period.  His message will be buried and lost anywhere else.

Or, perhaps you'd prefer he just go away quietly?

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

This, and what Jim said.

Not a huge fan of some of the stuff going on with modern-day drum corps.. but hey, it's a different era, different game. 

Overall, still a fan. If that ever changes, I hope I go out with the class shown by the OP here.

History of Drum Corps called early 90s seasons of audience discontent due to changes in show styles. That and bunch of life changes will help you decide which way to go.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1