Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

There is maybe one show every 3-4 years that interests me, but I’ve found interest in how the corps keep their organizations alive. Maybe that’s morbid of me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Please.  By your reasoning, I should support the kids in all their activities, be it drum corps, marching band, winter guard, dance teams, cheerleading, football, basketball, hockey,  ..../snip.

Finally. Someone who gets it. Of course hockey should always be supported. After all, the good old hockey game, is the best game you can name. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Well, it is a discussion board.  And like you say, you found his post interesting... so there you go.

The kids!  You must support DCI for the kids!  If you stop going to shows, you are anti-kid!

Please.  By your reasoning, I should support the kids in all their activities, be it drum corps, marching band, winter guard, dance teams, cheerleading, football, basketball, hockey, baseball, softball, T-ball, soccer, lacrosse, field hockey, gymnastics, figure skating, volleyball, wrestling, track and field, chess team, debating, 4-H, video game tournaments... you name it.  But there is not enough time/money to support every kid and every activity.  We each have to pick and choose where to put our personal support.  If we become disenchanted with one activity over time, why should we continue to support it when there are so many other options?

I never said you have to support every youth activity because kids are involved, however I do like to support youth activities. I do not go to a local ballpark expecting to see what I would see at Fenway, nor do I expect to see a local football game match what I would see at Gillette. I do enjoy attending vents involving young people. Most of the time there may be a personal reason (family members or a friend’s son or daughter) and at times there are professional reasons, but kids giving their all impresses me. Also, I don’t think I’m the only person who believes the passion of the young people is a factor for loving drum corps. It’s not the only factor but it is a factor.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MikeD said:

Well, there was at least one letter to the editor of Drum Corps News in the early 60's (read it on NanciD's great project to place the DCN issues online) bemoaning the addition of the contra....said it was turning drum corps into marching band.

Where is that site???

DCN was fun to read. Often like the Wild West there. All sorts of of unvarnished opinions. LOL

• Haha 1

Lifelong Rutgers football fan here. Grew up 15 minutes from their campus... started college there. (Finished elsewhere.)

You want years of hoping for a better product, but still sticking with the current one?  Join me and my fellow masochists. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Where is that site???

DCN was fun to read. Often like the Wild West there. All sorts of of unvarnished opinions. LOL

I can recall an issue released in July, 1978 that covered DCI East prelims and how no one played “songs” anymore. I think the author was harshest on Phantom, But he had a sickle for everyone including all the corps that today are old school darlings. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I can recall an issue released in July, 1978 that covered DCI East prelims and how no one played “songs” anymore. I think the author was harshest on Phantom, But he had a sickle for everyone including all the corps that today are old school darlings. 

It was the end of the world too when uniform inspections stopped being a thing. 

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Ray Kimber said:

For several years my delight with Drum Corps has been waning.

My first experience with Drum Corps was in 2004 at the invitation of Dr. Thomas Root.  It was electrifying for me.  The sound had majesty, grace, and purity.  I went to the souvenir trailers and purchased every CD I could lay my hands on.  The quality of the recordings were much more variable than quality of the Corps on the field.  None of the CDs were electrifying to me.

Then for many years I endeavored to record all those elements, with various success.  Along the way I provided yearly support for the Ogden Corps Encore Show.  I recall clearly when I was faced with the first instance of canned show program, I was incredulous.  In subsequent years the shows got even more canned and more amplified - rather than a race to have great musicians it was a race for expensive mixer boards, equalizers and speaker systems.

As a side note there was also a race to incorporate props and scenery. 

During the last show in Ogden, I listened carefully - I was not electrified.  I was electrified during some of the rehearsals that didn’t have the amplification running.

It could be that there is a cumulative million+ hours of devotion within the members of a corps, and then all that majesty, grace, and purity is stuffed through a PA system.

Now I have lost any interest in attending or supporting.  I don’t like listening to amazing musicians through a vitiating PA system.  Moreover I feel guilty about any of my efforts, donations, or support that subsidizes PA systems. It might be valid to compare the use of PA systems to steroid use, for my taste it sounds bad and feels like cheating.  I sorrow for those million hours of musician devotion that I don’t hear with majesty, grace and purity.

Ray Kimber, Ogden Utah

3 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Really? I'm not. Because that post is just self serving for a reaction. And they got it.

It’s good to know why people are losing interest in activities. Otherwise you end up with disappearing fans in the stands and no idea. Now, that doesn’t mean you need to change the activity to appeal to them because people will always drop out as new people enter. But I’m general, the beat way to grow anything is to keep those already interested in the activity in the activity. Keeping a customer is almost always cheaper than obtaining a new customer. 

• Like 4