Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

3 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

For those of you who have been around a long time...

Do the electronics/props add more to the "dirt" of an early season show/performance? 

I know early season shows have a long way to go before finals but the extra props/amps/visuals seem to add a lot more factors to clean.

These "new style" shows are mind blowing come finals week but I would imagine they have a lot of bugs and kinks out west.

Is this more of a case where the "best" shows since 09 have been from Allentown to Indy and he just hasn't seen the final product?

Not that I am a particular fan of over the top staging and amplification...just something to think about.

it can often lead to clarity issues...timing not spot on perfect, blend and balance

27 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so I posted this. Simple, polite, no snark.

I don't even get to the bottom of page 1, and the amount of snark and bloviating and "i'm better than you are" in the rest of THAT PAGE.......and no wonder people get the perception of DCP they do. Jesus ####### Christ

Lmao difference between here and RAMD... here they use ###### and posts and people can be removed.....

Years back I posted on DCP that I left and came back in a thread discussing how it’s easier to leave than come back. Someone totally flipped claimed how horrible I was to brag about it. No idea how it was bragging and no idea if they meant brag about leaving or brag about coming back....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

41 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

tics were still around when the 1976 Bayonne Bridgemen broke all the established military rules

The 1976 Bridgemen, fainting and all, didn’t break all the established military rules. They were certainly creative and original but they were clean, especially their drum line. Creativity is essential in drum corps but now shows are.....”designed”.....and the uniqueness of drum corps is kind of......lost?  I can watch “So You Think You Can Dance” or “Dancing with the Stars” anytime.  Somewhere along the line DCI forgot that “less is more” 

And btw, while we’re on the topic of the Bridgemen, had they even a decent guard they would have won at least 1 title in their heyday.

(Kathy & Tori please forgive me but I can say it now) 

Edited by greg_orangecounty

Still shaking my head over people being accused of being closed minded if they don’t like something. My sister hates my favorite food and thought the problem was she hated the taste. Now I realize she just isn’t open minded enough 🥵

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lmao difference between here and RAMD... here they use ###### and posts and people can be removed.....

Years back I posted on DCP that I left and came back in a thread discussing how it’s easier to leave than come back. Someone totally flipped claimed how horrible I was to brag about it. No idea how it was bragging and no idea if they meant brag about leaving or brag about coming back....

:blink:

I just don't get it...but, I've done it.

It's possible that the snark was a momentary lapse.  Fine and dandy.

But, in many ways, I take the opinion of the activity very seriously because...well, because of what Ream said.  He gets the business of drum corps.

I think some just get jollies from lobbing bombs.  Here we have a SIGNIFICANT fan and he's dumped on and ignored.

They come and go, we trudge on.  The business needs fixed.  This is a serious consideration in that solution for those serious enough to look.

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

:blink:

I just don't get it...but, I've done it.

It's possible that the snark was a momentary lapse.  Fine and dandy.

But, in many ways, I take the opinion of the activity very seriously because...well, because of what Ream said.  He gets the business of drum corps.

I think some just get jollies from lobbing bombs.  Here we have a SIGNIFICANT fan and he's dumped on and ignored.

They come and go, we trudge on.  The business needs fixed.  This is a serious consideration in that solution for those serious enough to look.

Have done it too... I was thinking of people who say DCP is so much nicer in tone than RAMD when what’s under the surface comes up at times

On 10/15/2019 at 3:34 PM, Ray Kimber said:

For several years my delight with Drum Corps has been waning.

My first experience with Drum Corps was in 2004 at the invitation of Dr. Thomas Root.  It was electrifying for me.  The sound had majesty, grace, and purity.  I went to the souvenir trailers and purchased every CD I could lay my hands on.  The quality of the recordings were much more variable than quality of the Corps on the field.  None of the CDs were electrifying to me.

Then for many years I endeavored to record all those elements, with various success.  Along the way I provided yearly support for the Ogden Corps Encore Show.  I recall clearly when I was faced with the first instance of canned show program, I was incredulous.  In subsequent years the shows got even more canned and more amplified - rather than a race to have great musicians it was a race for expensive mixer boards, equalizers and speaker systems.

As a side note there was also a race to incorporate props and scenery. 

During the last show in Ogden, I listened carefully - I was not electrified.  I was electrified during some of the rehearsals that didn’t have the amplification running.

It could be that there is a cumulative million+ hours of devotion within the members of a corps, and then all that majesty, grace, and purity is stuffed through a PA system.

Now I have lost any interest in attending or supporting.  I don’t like listening to amazing musicians through a vitiating PA system.  Moreover I feel guilty about any of my efforts, donations, or support that subsidizes PA systems. It might be valid to compare the use of PA systems to steroid use, for my taste it sounds bad and feels like cheating.  I sorrow for those million hours of musician devotion that I don’t hear with majesty, grace and purity.

Ray Kimber, Ogden Utah

I think I pulled a muscle rolling my eyes so hard......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Careful getting off your soapbox.  You commented on me making jabs but have no issue with yourself doing that.  Hypocrisy?   When you defend someone expressing an opinion, then slam someone for expressing theirs, it is hypocritical.  I meant it when I said I was sorry to see him go.  Sorry he has grown to not like what he sees.  But there is good stuff going on and he will miss out on it.  So thanks for your diatribe.  Very enlightening.

I think the worst I did was call you "young".  I meant it as a pejorative that you're not acting in the best long-term interest of the activity because the young have a short history as a time horizon.  I thought I made that clear.  "... the smarter I'll get", kindo-thing.  Look, you've been her 5 years so you're no rookie, but your attitude towards legacy fans isn't in the best interest of the activity.

Interestingly, there does seem to be a "sacrificial lamb" attitude that seems an appeasement to the design community...  But <sigh> that's a separate thread.

I wish truly that we could objectively look at the OP's experience and actually LEARN from it, if he would be so gracious.  Your (primarily your) comments attacking his decision are disturbing.  Are, and should be, to the adults in the room, on the boards, and those making decisions for the activity. 

Anybody objectively measuring the impact of A&E vs. the benefits would be required to understand the details of what drove this obvious fan away.

Edited by garfield
your, you're. Ughh
  • Haha 1