Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

so I posted this. Simple, polite, no snark.

I don't even get to the bottom of page 1, and the amount of snark and bloviating and "i'm better than you are" in the rest of THAT PAGE.......and no wonder people get the perception of DCP they do. Jesus ####### Christ

I have no idea of where your pages end, but yours was the safest post.  

:innocent:    :spitting:

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

it can often lead to clarity issues...timing not spot on perfect, blend and balance

Especially from the field even if they only get the worst at the box.  As the OP could probably tell, the clarity of blending analog and digital is an art akin to any other talent in drum corps.  My opinion is that most get it wrong - wildly wrong in comparison to other live performance venues and productions.

We used to have wet grass as an excuse and challenge.  Now, because we're "indoors" it's getting props and A&E up the ramps and into the circus (stadiums) and dialed in within the short time limit so the A&E doesn't fail the kids.

YEAH!, That's it.  A&E fails the kids...  "Support the kids!"  Yeah, unplug.

4 hours ago, Ray Kimber said:

The  Corps Encore Show ran for years before I even knew anything about drum corps.  At some point the Ogden show failed and there were no shows in Ogden for a few years.  My connections at the university, the community, my staff and my money were used to restart the Ogden show.  My contributions might have been counterproductive, minor or even unnecessary to the re-start and continue the Ogden show, I don't know enough to make that call.  What I do know is that myself and (paid) staff from my company were the first ones waiting for the arrival of the first corps, and the last person to leave.  This is true even when some some corps arrived days early in Ogden, and true even when some corps stayed some days after the show.  Year-round we tried to identify and fulfill various wants and needs of the corps when they were in Ogden.  I don't know if anyone on DCP has any first-hand experience with the Ogden show during my involvement.

I was intrigued with the possibility of capturing the sheer magic of the live acoustic performance in a recording.  My attitude about any recording is that it is like trying to can/bottle sushi, you can't do it.  But there is a difference between pet food and Albacore so I wanted to at least have recordings that failed in new ways.  I have some wonderful friends in the audio industry, both on the consumer and the professional side who assisted me.  I did post about those early recording experiences, called IsoMike here on DCP, I kinda liked some of the results. YMMV  Technically we pushed the envelope (and budget) of every single factor.  The last (unreleased) recordings we did are in 4XDSD 4.0 surround.  We played back some of those raw master files at various audio shows with systems costing high 6 figures.  I don't know if anyone on DCP has ever experienced one of my 4.0 playback demonstrations.  I don't know if anyone on DCP were present, in the Ogden recording booth, when we did recordings.  Again, I don't know if my recording efforts were counterproductive, minor or even unnecessary.

Finally, what does "OP" mean?

I, frankly, didn't know you or your work and, to me, I'm thankful and don't care.  That you're a fan is all I need to know. 

"Vitiating".  Debasing. Interesting choice, and thanks for that.

If I may, do you find any attraction at all to the use of A&E, or is it unacceptable to you in any form on the field?

I didn't even know of your expertise (my brother is chief engineer at Avid, so I sympathize).  I, too, and my son were the first to meet many a corps rolling into town at 3am for a show next day.  Maybe that kinship adds to my motive.

There is a calculation in every change in business practice that measures the impact on "keeping clients" vs. "getting new clients".  It's possible that you (and I!) are acceptable fatalities in the decision to attract MM's and their non-legacy screaming family and friends.

My problem is in understanding how fewer nationally competitive corps equates to more marching members, while participation in most of the rest of the marching arts is expanding.  A&E hasn't seemed to reverse the trend.

(Psst...  I think latency from field to the box could be virtually eliminated to the ear and could prompt earbuds dialed in live...  PM me, if you'd care.)

39 minutes ago, garfield said:

I think the worst I did was call you "young".  I meant it as a pejorative that you're not acting in the best long-term interest of the activity because the young have a short history as a time horizon.  I thought I made that clear.  "... the smarter I'll get", kindo-thing.  Look, you've been her 5 years so you're no rookie, but your attitude towards legacy fans isn't in the best interest of the activity.

Interestingly, there does seem to be a "sacrificial lamb" attitude that seems an appeasement to the design community...  But <sigh> that's a separate thread.

I wish truly that we could objectively look at the OP's experience and actually LEARN from it, if he would be so gracious.  Your (primarily your) comments attacking his decision are disturbing.  Are, and should be, to the adults in the room, on the boards, and those making decisions for the activity. 

Anybody objectively measuring the impact of A&E vs. the benefits would be required to understand the details of what drove this obvious fan away.

Oh wise one.  Please explain to me about legacy fans.  Exactly what is your definition.  You might try rereading posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Bye. What else is anyone suppose to say? Sorry but your statement is very self serving. But so long farewell.

Who cares. I don't care about why someone leaves. Just leave. End of story.

Seriously one person write this stuff and it's an issue. I don't care. It's a self serving statement for a reaction.

OMG...some lost interest. If I lost interest in a activity I'm not gonna post a page why I did. I just lost interest.

I mean, I really wish I understood.  I'm not the best businessman or the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I fail to see how this attitude towards any fan is productive.  I really don't understand why one would consider this savvy business practice.  These sound like the opinion of a teacher, or a designer, or someone acutely "plugged in" to the high-school opinion set.

Maybe the activity needs more decades of these opinions but, based on the results so far, I'd say their efficacy and viability to have done anything at all to advance the activity is, and should be, seriously questioned.

6 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Oh wise one.  Please explain to me about legacy fans.  Exactly what is your definition.  You might try rereading posts.

I don't think I'll take the bait.  You've stated your position and seem calm enough now to, hopefully, listen to the OP's thoughts like the rest of us.  Unless you want to jump to conclusions about his selfishness or selflessness again...

Wise?  Seriously?  Hardly...  If anyone wants to hear about what a doofus I was YESTERDAY, just PM me.  I promise, you'll cringe and chuckle at the same time.

But I'm just not at the point in my fandom that I'm willing to throw "old" fans under the bus in favor of the transient fans of Vaticinate's information ($1 to Cixelcyd).

OMG...some lost interest. If I lost interest in a activity I'm not gonna post a page why I did. I just lost interest.

Lost interest or things changed and no longer enjoy it? ‘Tis a difference.

Well, while we're at it, the thing that bugs the living hell out of me are the event posters that have the guard member in some shade of neon, wearing blade runner eye makeup, making animal claws with their hands and yelling or growling. Hashtag fierce. Adorbs.