Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

4 hours ago, garfield said:

Must be endemic to musicians.  My daughter's HS band is entering week four of the football season with only two games left.  They've done two "competitions" and their third (they host) this weekend and yet, to this day, they have not put the entire show on the field.  For this week's "competition" ("You can only judge what's there!) they hope to have Mvmt 4 on the field but, most likely, they'll not perform their entire show until the "State Championships" in two weeks where, undoubtedly, they'll receive the highest possible score.

Not a single football parent or member of the school will see the band do a complete show this season unless they attend the "Championship" show.

Good grief!  We're in week 8 of the football season in Texas, we did 4 contests already and had UIL Regionals this past weekend.  Area is next weekend to determine state qualifiers.

Mike

On 10/16/2019 at 4:45 PM, garfield said:

Have to admit, I burst out chuckling.  Nicely played.

Oh - YOU!  Can't WAIT to hear what you'll add. (seriously)

You want to know what I think anytime this topic comes up? Whether anyone wants to admit it or not the Drum Corps activity is a form of artistic expression. What would have happened if the forward progression of art would have stopped at any point in history because people thought "this is what art is and it can't change from this form ever". It's a dumb argument but by all means continue to do the equivalent of reducing your exposure to art to anything up to the time of say Micheal Angelo.  You are missing so much greatness and the only one losing is you not those moving the idiom forward.

(When I say you I don't mean you specifically garfield but the "you" being those that want the activity to be what it was way back when)

19 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

You want to know what I think anytime this topic comes up? Whether anyone wants to admit it or not the Drum Corps activity is a form of artistic expression. What would have happened if the forward progression of art would have stopped at any point in history because people thought "this is what art is and it can't change from this form ever". It's a dumb argument but by all means continue to do the equivalent of reducing your exposure to art to anything up to the time of say Micheal Angelo.  You are missing so much greatness and the only one losing is you not those moving the idiom forward.

(When I say you I don't mean you specifically garfield but the "you" being those that want the activity to be what it was way back when)

Congrats, you now have all brass marching bands.  😏

11 minutes ago, MikeD said:

As has been the case going back pre-DCI. So nothing new there.

Save the fact they used instruments that were "unique" to a certain subset of the marching arts.

1 hour ago, Spatzzz said:

I never looked at it as art or forward motion etc etc...

I looked at it as “does this still entertain me or not”. If yes I watch, if no I don’t watch. Just that IT in me dealing in binary... (1/0, yes/no, true/false etc etc)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I never looked at it as art or forward motion etc etc...

I looked at it as “does this still entertain me or not”. If yes I watch, if no I don’t watch. Just that IT in me dealing in binary... (1/0, yes/no, true/false etc etc)

That's fine. But are you selfish enough to think that if YOU don't like the evolution of the activity then it shouldn't evolve? I don't think you are. If you don't like modern drum corps that is fine, no one is telling you that you have to. If you have kids would you want them to remain 8 years old because you liked them best at that age? 

If drum corps was exactly as it was in the 70's, 80's or 90's or whatever era people think was their favorite the one thing for certain would be that drum corps would no longer exist at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

But technically weren't bugles either.

<sorry, sorry, the drummer will show himself out now...>

Mike

Chicken!  Don't back out!  Stand there with your sticks and bash knuckle-to-knuckle with the blow-hard horny-ists.  

:tongue:

Edited by garfield