Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

26 minutes ago, garfield said:

Who's this?  A distant cousin twice-removed, maybe, to this guy?  (Don't hate me, I couldn't resist.)

Who’s Michael Angelo?  I’m pretty sure he was a caption head for the Blue Coats.

46 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Oh, absolutely.  It's the corps that are possibly slitting their own throats here.  LOL.

Maybe or the other side of that coin is making it more interesting for MMs today, pushing the envelope whether that means moving constantly forward or looking back and shaking something old up . Or maybe , as some might think becoming to much. Just a thought.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Ugghh!  You just MAKE me want to correct you!  EVERYONE else besides you can believe differently and you're STILL the only one in the room who's right.  Right?  But...

Yes, of course.  And it's judged and rewards points and sponsorship and demand from future MM's can determine success or failure.  This is not artistic expression like Caravaggio or Bernini.

Who's this?  A distant cousin twice-removed, maybe, to this guy?  (Don't hate me, I couldn't resist.)

And thanks for being specific in your use of 'you'.  That said, you miss the point. The Michelangelo or Caravaggio "Art" that people see today IS the art in its original form.  Sure, each's artistic talent and maturity morphed in their lives, but fans still witness and experience it live, as the art was when it was created.  I exaggerate for effect and point - I'm not interested in G-horns and carrying tymps at all.  My point is that one can put Mr. Angelo (:whip:) up against almost any modern artist and his work still holds up to judgement of peers and fans.  Not so in drum corps, where all things older than last year are banished as too old to repeat, and increasingly, "down-rewarded" for NOT being avant-guard enough.  You can't compare a '75, '85, '95, '05, or even '15 show to this year, "today's design".  I've overdone my point.

One simply can't compare "artistic expression" when it's rewarded real, tangible financial benefit for "designing to the sheets" now, can one?  And especially so when one totals the potential financial gain that being a great designer can bring to the design process.  Michelangelo wasn't "painting to the sheets" in the Sistine Chapel, was he?

Performance art, yes.  Maybe you meant that, and I'd agree with "Performance Art".  In performance art, I appreciate all eras and I wish that the eras that I particularly like(d) were ABLE to be judged and rewarded as much as the current champion so I might have the chance again to see that design again.  But, alas, I'm asked to ban my appreciation for older design to digital downloads while expected to pay significant sums to see current design only, and little else, stand a hooters chance in hel11 of contending for the financial gain of being a top-contender.

The Arms Race of A&E, prop, design, staff, and tour expense all in the name of "A-E" is bankrupting corps, destroying the tour, and is unsustainable.  (Do I have to say "IMO" on a forum board?)  Excuses for "Artistic Expression" are the fodder of designers and, run amok, the activity can't keep up.  The Artistic Expression that puts real, demise-level pressure on corps organizations to be participate, and do it safely, only in the realm of a $750,000 (or TWICE THAT!) annual budget screams for someone to wrap duct tape around "Artistic Expression's" head and shut him up so the activity can catch its collective financial breath!

How, in God's name, are any of the corps expected to build any sort of financial safety net when it takes every, single penny every year just to comply with what "The Sheets" are rewarding?

..mic drop.

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Ugghh!  You just MAKE me want to correct you!  EVERYONE else besides you can believe differently and you're STILL the only one in the room who's right.  Right?  But...

Yes, of course.  And it's judged and rewards points and sponsorship and demand from future MM's can determine success or failure.  This is not artistic expression like Caravaggio or Bernini.

And award for the best use of color coded text goes to ...

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

*Quote shortened just for quicker scrolling.  LOL*

Well said. it's quite an arms race, I agree. And one that does not bode well for the future.

just like member safety for the reason field judges are now restricted, all about some artists vision

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Oh, absolutely.  It's the corps that are possibly slitting their own throats here.  LOL.

listening to old episodes of the Aged Out Podcast, and they discussed the rule change to restrict field judges. a former DCi caption head said of all of the member safety things DCi should be looking at, field judges is the least of the issues. the amount of rehearsal time, the food, the heat, the rain.....all of those issues should be far higher on the list

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

What Would BRASSO Do?

get banned

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1