Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

15 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

You want to know what I think anytime this topic comes up? Whether anyone wants to admit it or not the Drum Corps activity is a form of artistic expression. What would have happened if the forward progression of art would have stopped at any point in history because people thought "this is what art is and it can't change from this form ever". It's a dumb argument but by all means continue to do the equivalent of reducing your exposure to art to anything up to the time of say Micheal Angelo.  You are missing so much greatness and the only one losing is you not those moving the idiom forward.

(When I say you I don't mean you specifically garfield but the "you" being those that want the activity to be what it was way back when)

At what point did anyone suggest stopping ALL change? 

Whenever anyone dares to voice criticism of a single aspect of the modern activity, you can count on someone painting them with the broad brush of "anti-change".  Rolling the changes all the way back to the year 1500 is a new twist on that script, though - credit for that.

(Never mind whether the electrocution of the activity is really the "forward" change you characterize it as.)

• Like 1

If the activity stayed the same as it was in the 1970's, we wouldn't be talking about this today. In fact, there wouldn't be a DCP or Drum Corps World! As much as older people want it to be that way, if the change didn't come when it did (2 valve, three valve, Bb, electronics) then we wouldn't be talking about drum corps! Be gratetful that we can still be here to talk about the activity and reminisce. As much as I love hearing the old shows, the sounds that these kids today produce are so much better!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

If the activity stayed the same as it was in the 1970's, we wouldn't be talking about this today. In fact, there wouldn't be a DCP or Drum Corps World! As much as older people want it to be that way, if the change didn't come when it did (2 valve, three valve, Bb, electronics) then we wouldn't be talking about drum corps! Be gratetful that we can still be here to talk about the activity and reminisce. As much as I love hearing the old shows, the sounds that these kids today produce are so much better!

Why do you think it would be gone?  I mean it's said a lot but seriously..where is the proof?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

Why do you think it would be gone?  I mean it's said a lot but seriously..where is the proof?

That's an interesting question. Can we somehow slightly compare what might have happened to what is going on now with DCA? They are not exactly thriving.

12 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And award for the best use of color coded text goes to ...

Gar.

Field.

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2019 at 9:45 AM, garfield said:

I guess I'll be the one who asks on what basis you make this claim.

"troll

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument"

21 pages later...

44 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

"troll

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument"

21 pages later...

Question still remains how you know the poster INTENDED to have 21 pages of posts from other people posting “maximum disruption and argument”. Especially since in latter posts from this person have not been stirring the pot imo...

Also imo some of the discussions have been interesting re: dc as art or otherwise

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Just now, DFA1970 said:

You know it's off season when you get 21 pages of this topic.

And complaining about someone complaining....

• Like 2