Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

1 hour ago, cybersnyder said:

But to 95% of the population, it’s marching band. 

Might be closer to 99.5%.  LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

oh brother,.........this is an open forum for those that marched and fans of the activity.  I understand that, and from my point of view to call drum corps “band” is an insult even though that’s where I started too.

we have grown way past that over the years. we all felt that way at one time but have learned. BUT 1st thing one has to ask themselves is WHY is it an insult.?

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, but that doesn't mean there's no value in making distinctions. All drum corps are marching bands. All marching bands are not drum corps.

Some might say ALL drum corps aren't real drum corps also..just sayin....lol

Edited by GUARDLING

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

To the general population, yes, I agree. 

But for an alleged drum corps person to say that to another drum corps person.......and to imply it’s “always been that way” and we’re not to think any different is asinine. 

No it isn't because it's true. For you to pretend that it isn't is what is asinine. How is/was drum corps different than marching band other than instrumentation? Its marching and music on a football field. You are basically saying a pecan isn't a nut because it doesn't have the word nut in it. 

ETA: And why is it an insult being called a band? I mean there are MANY MANY bands that are better than some DCI groups today and that has been the case for decades. At the top? No....but get down to the middle of the pack and there are HS bands that are today better than what is put out by some in that area. Sorry....

Edited by Spatzzz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

No it isn't because it's true. For you to pretend that it isn't is what is asinine. How is/was drum corps different than marching band other than instrumentation? Its marching and music on a football field. You are basically saying a pecan isn't a nut because it doesn't have the word nut in it. 

You answered your own assertion.  Drum and Bugle corps used to be different because of instrumentation.  Yes, it was a type of marching band but different in a very unique way.  Just like a Drum and Fife Corps err marching band or bagpipes.  When there is NO difference WHY get butt hurt over calling it a marching band now?  Seriously, DCI is just a circuit of marching bands.  What used to be true is not any longer.  Word games do not change the facts.  Just like you could point to the Marine Drum and Bugle corps and SEE and HEAR a distinct difference.  This whole mindset that there are no differences and never have been is well...insane and lacks any real facts to support itself in realities.  I don't really care but the idea that we can't have subsets of criteria to differentiate sub-species of a greater whole IS asinine.  I can't even imagine living life where you couldn't do that...and have a firm grasp on reality.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

ETA: And why is it an insult being called a band? I mean there are MANY MANY bands that are better than some DCI groups today and that has been the case for decades. At the top? No....but get down to the middle of the pack and there are HS bands that are today better than what is put out by some in that area. Sorry....

Question for those who have been involved with MB for a long time. When did MB start hitting the level of corps? For that matter when did MB start competing? Mid 70s in my area from what I remember 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

23 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

I see little difference between drum corps and bands today, so let’s get that straight.

My perspective come from marching in the Anaheim Kingsmen in the 1970’s and you had to be blind to not see the difference between drum corps and bands in music, attitude, style, precision, military bearing, drill, drum line (no comparison), color guards (bands had drill teams), degree of difficulty, and intensity.

Kids from high school and university bands joined us for a reason. It wasn’t because we were the same as them. 

And by your logic football and soccer are the same  because it involves a ball and running around on a field. 

48 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

we have grown way past that over the years. we all felt that way at one time but have learned. BUT 1st thing one has to ask themselves is WHY is it an insult.?

Who is “we”? 

Bands were the minor league, Drum Corps was the major league.  The very fact I have to spell this out tells me the contagion has spread and it’s too late. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

toWho is “we”? 

Bands were the minor league, Drum Corps was the major league.  The very fact I have to spell this out tells me the contagion has spread and it’s too late. 

We I believe  are most of us involved in the activity today. WE, as in most bitd , including me felt we were so superior and made fun of the band geeks, learned 1st hand where our bread was buttered starting in the late 80s early 90s. Our own snobbery wasn't helpful, respectful or true by then. If you want to define major league is another thing. It is our branding BUT there are some corps that would not be considered that if we actually put some guidelines or parameters attached to that assessment or branding.

There was also another side to this . Many band directors felt Drum Corps ruined  serious music students and some forbid their students or tired , who wanted to march drum corps. Im sure there are still some of them today as there are some who still feel superiority within the many facets of our activity somehow actually makes them  superior and have the right to look down on this so called other world that actually feeds ours. JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3