Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

4 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

oh brother,.........this is an open forum for those that marched and fans of the activity.  I understand that, and from my point of view to call drum corps “band” is an insult even though that’s where I started too.

Hardly an insult. When I was young I too had the bogus attitude that we in drum corps were somehow 'better' than marching bands, and to call us a "band" was an insult. Pretty silly, when you see some of the old small local corps. Sure, top corps were amazing in any era, but those were a very small percentage of the total number of corps. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Never got that getting POed being called a band as 99.9999% of times people didn’t know better. So why act like a jerk if someone cared enough to ask.

Exactly. 

I lost track of how many times people along a parade route, or watching our rehearsals, would ask us where our band was from.

When people asked, I'd simply tell them. Made no sense at all to get angry or annoyed at folks who were interested in us!!!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Exactly. 

I lost track of how many times people along a parade route, or watching our rehearsals, would ask us where our band was from.

When people asked, I'd simply tell them. Made no sense at all to get angry or annoyed at folks who were interested in us!!!

It’s great in an Alumni type corps when people think you are in a school band... then they see grey or no hair....😳

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Hardly an insult. When I was young I too had the bogus attitude that we in drum corps were somehow 'better' than marching bands, and to call us a "band" was an insult. Pretty silly, when you see some of the old small local corps. Sure, top corps were amazing in any era, but those were a very small percentage of the total number of corps. 

THIS!

5 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

oh brother,.........this is an open forum for those that marched and fans of the activity.  I understand that, and from my point of view to call drum corps “band” is an insult even though that’s where I started too.

An insult to bands, yes. 

It’s weird how drum corps has to evolve over time, lest it disappear into the ether, yet marching bands do not.  For example, how much has the Texas Longhorn band changed since, oh, 1970?  Or USC?  Texas A&M?  Penn State Blue Band?  And on and on. Not much. 

4 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

It’s weird how drum corps has to evolve over time, lest it disappear into the ether, yet marching bands do not.  For example, how much has the Texas Longhorn band changed since, oh, 1970?  Or USC?  Texas A&M?  Penn State Blue Band?  And on and on. Not much. 

I'll give the Blue Band credit for getting a lot better over the years.

Saw the Texas-Penn State game at the NJ Meadowlands in 1983... and the Longhorn Band was miles ahead of the Penn State band that year. Also... fortunately for this Longhorns fan... Texas won the game!!! :thumbup:

Just now, Fran Haring said:

I'll give the Blue Band credit for getting a lot better over the years.

Saw the Texas-Penn State game at the NJ Meadowlands in 1983... and the Longhorn Band was miles ahead of the Penn State band that year. Also... fortunately for this Longhorns fan... Texas won the game!!! :thumbup:

Getting better is one thing. And good. But that’s very different from the dramatic and largely unnecessary changes made in DCI through the years. I cannot imagine any of the bands I mentioned above, or Ohio State’s band, or Alabama, etc. etc.  using narration or singing or amps or the emoting or nonsensical body gyrations that drum corps use. They would be laughed out of the stadium. So yeah. There was a time when calling a drum corps a marching band would be an insult to the drum corps. Today, calling a drum corps a marching band is an insult to marching bands. It’s often embarrassing to watch. 

5 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Getting better is one thing. And good. But that’s very different from the dramatic and largely unnecessary changes made in DCI through the years. I cannot imagine any of the bands I mentioned above, or Ohio State’s band, or Alabama, etc. etc.  using narration or singing or amps or the emoting or nonsensical body gyrations that drum corps use. They would be laughed out of the stadium. So yeah. There was a time when calling a drum corps a marching band would be an insult to the drum corps. Today, calling a drum corps a marching band is an insult to marching bands. It’s often embarrassing to watch. 

Got it. And I don't entirely disagree.

But I was just making an innocent/innocuous sidebar comment about how much Penn State's band has improved.

Sometimes I wonder if you're channeling your inner Stu.  :tongue:  Geez.