Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

When the question came to me, "What is drum corps?" I answered, "It's like marching band only better!"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

More likely, 95% of the population are totally unaware that the drum corps activity exists.  How could they have an opinion on the issue?

Those are the people who see a corps in a parade and ask “what band is that?”. Then give a blank expression when they hear the words “drum corps”. 

Then there are people who know both but think what differences there are or used to be are too small to consider.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

When the question came to me, "What is drum corps?" I answered, "It's like marching band only better!"

I’d say like MB but only with horns and drums... (oh well)..... 😎

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

to the majority of the planet drum corps was the minor leagues

How can that be true when two posts above you say:

and the general person on the street could give two #####” (in relation to the public’s knowledge between drum corps and band)?

How can the general public feel drum corps was the “minor league” compared to band when they don’t know or care about the difference?

3 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

The key to college bands is that they’re there for entertainment whether it’s PSU, Ohio, Western Carolina, A&M, they just have a a unique style that hasn’t evolved much from their formula. 

Good point.

Plus, they have a built-in audience on every game day.

Several of the bands, a lot of fans stay in their seats for the halftime show.  I know that's the case at West Chester U. That band is fantastic.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Good point.

Plus, they have a built-in audience on every game day.

Several of the bands, a lot of fans stay in their seats for the halftime show.  I know that's the case at West Chester U. That band is fantastic.

Yep and college bands don’t have to worry about competing so they can stay the same or change as they see fit. I try to catch the College MB show from Allentown on Flo and all types of sizes and styles. Makes it more interesting that way imo.

• Like 1

Got that right, Fran!

On several occasions, I’ve enjoyed Alabama’s Million Dollar Band on their Tuscaloosa campus. Before games they play on the steps of the  library building across from the stadium.  Wow! What an experience. Enormous brass and percussion sound, perfectly played and familiar fight songs.  Yes, all the other traditional band instruments are there, but it all sounds like a massive, in-your-face, DCI Finalist.

. . .  and those stunningly attractive twirlers out front !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I have to disagree with you a bit on OSU.

They have changed their style completely since Dr.Woods left.

No narration or signing.

But props (posters )

Special effects (fire extinguishers to simulate smoke)

Stick figure formations

One of my friends who saw the TBDBITL in person last year said it felt 

like a BOA show.

If you watch some of their recent shows,the band isn't what it used to be.

This is true.  And another good visual depiction of how much has changed, they now carry snare drums flat instead of up under the left armpit.

Yea, they caved to the "drum corps" influence, too.  The pictures and stick figures are just more of the same props drum corps uses today without having to lease another vehicle in which to haul it all around.

Does anyone know what the attendance figures are for “the Honda” I believe it’s called. People like bands, but I think we’ve gone too artsy for general appeal. I was in a Best Buy a few years ago and they were playing the Drumline battle scene at full volume in the home theater section. Everyone in the store went back to watch it. There is huge growth h potential if you play for more than the guys / gals with the clipboards. I guess they’re iPads now. You now what I mean. 

• Haha 1