Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

16 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Does anyone know what the attendance figures are for “the Honda” I believe it’s called. People like bands, but I think we’ve gone too artsy for general appeal. I was in a Best Buy a few years ago and they were playing the Drumline battle scene at full volume in the home theater section. Everyone in the store went back to watch it. There is huge growth h potential if you play for more than the guys / gals with the clipboards. I guess they’re iPads now. You now what I mean. 

From Wikipedia:

"The event is the most popular collegiate marching band event in the nation, attracting over 50,000 fans and spectators annually."

5 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

From Wikipedia:

"The event is the most popular collegiate marching band event in the nation, attracting over 50,000 fans and spectators annually."

Thx. I was finding attendance for the golf Honda Classic. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

Got that right, Fran!

On several occasions, I’ve enjoyed Alabama’s Million Dollar Band on their Tuscaloosa campus. Before games they play on the steps of the  library building across from the stadium.  Wow! What an experience. Enormous brass and percussion sound, perfectly played and familiar fight songs.  Yes, all the other traditional band instruments are there, but it all sounds like a massive, in-your-face, DCI Finalist.

. . .  and those stunningly attractive twirlers out front !

It was always a pleasure to perform for us in the band. Though I will say it's a huge machine to move around. Definitely different than my drum corps experience. Although I still have to say that Legion Field was AWFUL to march in when we had to go there for college or for DCI South. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

And another good visual depiction of how much has changed, they now carry snare drums flat instead of up under the left armpit.

Actually,they now do both flat and "tilted"

Their snares are flat for most halftimes.

But they still march with the traditional "tilt' for things like the Skull Session,pregame  and

parades.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

More likely, 95% of the population are totally unaware that the drum corps activity exists.  How could they have an opinion on the issue?

Literally 100% of my close friends have no idea what drum corps is.  When I go away for a drum corps weekend, they ask if I’m going to watch “that band stuff”.  😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Literally 100% of my close friends have no idea what drum corps is.  When I go away for a drum corps weekend, they ask if I’m going to watch “that band stuff”.  😂 

Oh yeah, when I did Alumni type parades I’d just say “I march in a music group and I play horn”. Probably more info then they cared to hear anyway.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Heh.... I would usually take Thursday and Friday off before DCA's on Labor Day weekend... and when I was heading out on Wednesday I'd tell my co-workers I was off to "drum corps fantasy camp." :laughing:

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Actually,they now do both flat and "tilted"

Their snares are flat for most halftimes.

But they still march with the traditional "tilt' for things like the Skull Session,pregame  and

parades.

Old habits die hard.  But even both (and I knew, being a vet of "Gyro") is a HUGE leap from the Droste/Woods days.

Had they carried snares flat at halftime BITD when I marched, I may have stayed around longer.  As it was, it was no match for drum corps.

3 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

How can that be true when two posts above you say:

and the general person on the street could give two #####” (in relation to the public’s knowledge between drum corps and band)?

How can the general public feel drum corps was the “minor league” compared to band when they don’t know or care about the difference?

the general public sees bands like USC or Ohio State or (insert favorite college team's band here) as the big time. And to be honest, other than their band, they don't care.

I mean how ####### stupid is it in 2019 that we are still hashing out the band is better than corps or corps is better than band arguments? I realize it's the offseason and there's not a plethora of topics to choose from, but Christ Almighty, isn't it time for this argument to die like those complaining about electronics etc? Drum corps isn't going back to (insert year here). it's going to keep changing into whatever those in power want it to be. Ergo, you have to options.......watch it and look for stuff you enjoy, or quit wasting bandwidth on ####### arguments from 1972

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

From Wikipedia:

and more than drum corps ever got, even back in the glory days when every show was sold out, people hanging off the light towers, climbing fences etc ( just using examples from posts in DCP past.....cause rose colored glasses ya know)