Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

48 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Literally 100% of my close friends have no idea what drum corps is.  When I go away for a drum corps weekend, they ask if I’m going to watch “that band stuff”.  😂 

ditto

• Like 1

I can remember MMs BITD wearing buttons on corps jackets reading "It's Drum Corps Not Marching Band, Stupid!. Which, I always found a little ironic cuz basically 90% of us came from a marching band. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the general public sees bands like USC or Ohio State or (insert favorite college team's band here) as the big time. And to be honest, other than their band, they don't care.

I mean how ####### stupid is it in 2019 that we are still hashing out the band is better than corps or corps is better than band arguments? I realize it's the offseason and there's not a plethora of topics to choose from, but Christ Almighty, isn't it time for this argument to die like those complaining about electronics etc? Drum corps isn't going back to (insert year here). it's going to keep changing into whatever those in power want it to be. Ergo, you have to options.......watch it and look for stuff you enjoy, or quit wasting bandwidth on ####### arguments from 1972

Jeff,

You made an unsolicited comment to me. If I disagree and make a comment back to you don’t cry about it. If I upset you dont read or respond to my posts.

31 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and more than drum corps ever got, even back in the glory days when every show was sold out, people hanging off the light towers, climbing fences etc ( just using examples from posts in DCP past.....cause rose colored glasses ya know)

Yep.

Any number of shows were well-attended... but others.... not so much.

Heck, I've seen posts from folks on some FB groups saying stuff like "25,000 fans were there" when the stadium capacity wasn't even close to that.  LOL.

And there were some local shows where we performed in the Eastern States circuit... you could fire a cannon across the grandstand and not hit anyone. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I mean how ####### stupid is it in 2019 that we are still hashing out the band is better than corps or corps is better than band arguments? I realize it's the offseason and there's not a plethora of topics to choose from, but Christ Almighty, isn't it time for this argument to die like those complaining about electronics etc? Drum corps isn't going back to (insert year here). it's going to keep changing into whatever those in power want it to be. Ergo, you have to options.......watch it and look for stuff you enjoy, or quit wasting bandwidth on ####### arguments from 1972

How stupid is it in 2019 that we still have people wading into a discussion group to tell others not to discuss something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Literally 100% of my close friends have no idea what drum corps is.  When I go away for a drum corps weekend, they ask if I’m going to watch “that band stuff”.  😂 

At DCA Prelims, the mother of a Carolina Gold member sitting behind me kept referring to the groups as "bands". But she was quite enthusiastic about the activity, so I didn't bother correcting her.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

My son calls it a cult.  At a corps event all the alumni sang the corps song and he turned to my wife and said "see, it IS a cult".  I guess it kinda is.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

At DCA Prelims, the mother of a Carolina Gold member sitting behind me kept referring to the groups as "bands". But she was quite enthusiastic about the activity, so I didn't bother correcting her.

Similar experience for me in 2013 at prelims in Annapolis.

A friend from Skyliners Alumni and I were watching the show right next to a lady whose son was a rookie horn player with Gold.

She liked our sense of humor. We kept it quite PC. LOL.  Also appreciated the fact that we gave a shout-out to her son, who had a solo that year... told her he had to be a pretty good player, because rookies often don't get solos. (He was a very good player.) And she liked our compliments about Gold's great guard that year.

We didn't care whether she referred to Gold as a band or a corps. Didn't matter. We all were enjoying the show.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Yep.

Any number of shows were well-attended... but others.... not so much.

Heck, I've seen posts from folks on some FB groups saying stuff like "25,000 fans were there" when the stadium capacity wasn't even close to that.  LOL.

And there were some local shows where we performed in the Eastern States circuit... you could fire a cannon across the grandstand and not hit anyone. :tongue:

At least no one has brought up massive attendance at AL/VFW nationals in their hay day. Yeah lot of attendance but the crowd was there for the convention and the corps show was part of the convention. IOW it was something for the vets to attend as entertainment.

On 10/15/2019 at 3:34 PM, Ray Kimber said:

Now I have lost any interest in attending or supporting.  I don’t like listening to amazing musicians through a vitiating PA system.  Moreover I feel guilty about any of my efforts, donations, or support that subsidizes PA systems. It might be valid to compare the use of PA systems to steroid use, for my taste it sounds bad and feels like cheating.  I sorrow for those million hours of musician devotion that I don’t hear with majesty, grace and purity.

Ray Kimber, Ogden Utah

At the risk of getting back on topic, I share a lot of feelings as the OP.  As a MM and a fan from an early age, I was excited when my own my own kids demonstrated an interest in DCI.  After 5 years watching them perform in multiple corps, I can say that I have spent an embarrassing amount of $$ on tuition, tickets, T-shirt’s, and spent most of my company vacations for the past 5 years driving food trucks and prop vans, etc.

But it looks like both my MMs are moving on to other life things (jobs, study abroad, etc).  Given the state of the activity with mike’d horn players hanging from trapeze on the field, and that any real competition and parity long ago died away, I can’t see spending any more time or money watching the same 2 or 3 corps win every year. It’s just not that interesting anymore.

Edited by WaxDCIFan
Typos...
  • Haha 1