Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

16 hours ago, garfield said:

tic-tock, tic-tock...

It does seem to be on that trajectory.

Follow the money. Money will always trump tradition. And the worst of all it will be sold as “a wonderful innovation in the marching arts.”

Brace. 

16 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It does seem to be on that trajectory.

Follow the money. Money will always trump tradition. And the worst of all it will be sold as “a wonderful innovation in the marching arts.”

Brace. 

No. It will be sold as “absolutely necessary for the survival of the activity”. It must be allowed to “evolve”. Ironic, isn’t it, that in preserving its survival the brain surgeons turned it into summer band?  Yawn. Oh, and no, it wasn’t “always summer band”. Just anticipating that old worn out response. 

41 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

As for your last sentence I don’t follow BoA or other band circuits so no idea if you’re being snarky or not.

I think you misunderstood.  The BOA Summer Symposium is like a convention for band kids, held annually in late June (currently in Muncie, IN).  In conjunction with the symposium, a DCI contest is held with bleachers guaranteed to be filled with those same band kids.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

No. It will be sold as “absolutely necessary for the survival of the activity”. It must be allowed to “evolve”. Ironic, isn’t it, that in preserving its survival the brain surgeons turned it into summer band?  Yawn. Oh, and no, it wasn’t “always summer band”. Just anticipating that old worn out response. 

If it is “absolutely necessary“ to add woodwinds for the survival of the activity then Drum Corps should be euthanized.

Death with dignity, and not turned into some sort of awful artsy-farts circus with the phrase “Drum Corps” attached.

Gag.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I think you misunderstood.  The BOA Summer Symposium is like a convention for band kids, held annually in late June (currently in Muncie, IN).  In conjunction with the symposium, a DCI contest is held with bleachers guaranteed to be filled with those same band kids.

Thanks. It wasn’t that I misunderstood I just didn’t know anything about it or anything BoA does. That’s what happens when you work IT and not music lol

48 minutes ago, garfield said:

Is it just "usual" or is it mandated in some by-law than can't be overruled? 

It is just common sense.  By January, nearly all DCI corps will have recruited, auditioned, and begun designing 2020 shows based on the prevailing rules.  It would be inherently unfair to make a change with such clear and obvious impact on all those aspects in midstream.  Recognizing that, every past sweeping instrumentation change has taken effect only after completing the annual cycle currently in progress.  

The trombone change did not have such an obvious effect on recruiting/auditioning, so they evidently saw no problem with fast-tracking it.

I wonder two things: if instrument manufacturers will, or have, developed a line of woodwinds that are more impervious to the summer elements (is rain "wetter" than the snows of football season in the north?  Do they still have bands in the north?)

It is what it is.  Let me know if someone pretends that no one ever raised this issue in all the past decades of marching band experience.

and...

If adoption will be slowed by corps that don't want to change their "signature" sound.  Crown and Phantom come to mind and, increasingly in recent years, Blue Knights.  Which horns would a corps be willing to eliminate to switch to woodwinds?  Would a new marketplace develop for MM's who have switched from a reed to play drum corps and can play both in a show?

Well, we saw what happened to the signature sound of G brass... and the signature sound of all-acoustic ensembles... and the signature sound of brass/percussion without all the electronic instruments and synthesized sounds.  The signature sound always becomes the legacy sound... the sound that judges no longer want to hear.

• Haha 1

Woodwinds would cause me eyerolls and unless featured in solos or small ensembles cause me to strain to hear clearly, but wouldn't necessarily be a deal-breaker in remaining a fan.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

So I have that going for me. :lol:

For whatever reason, that was the only announcer's scoresheet I ever saved from those DCA shows. And now in your possession.  I wish I had saved them all... would have cleared up some disputes over who won which captions in what years.  LOL.

in my possession and framed

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

I can as well....we finished 2nd that night 

sorry. great corps tho!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

You’re smarter than this. If it’s “not noticeable” then it’s obviously not changed nearly to the extent drum corps has. That’s my point and you know it. My point was not that marching bands have not changed at all. 

i'm far smarter than you'll ever give me credit for. Why? Because small things aren't noticed by the average Joe football fan trooping into Beaver Stadium every week. Hell half of them are still tailgating during pregame unless it's big game on a network.

I've been to Happy Valley enough times to know. ( Ps the band has increased size several times, and most don't even know it. Most couldn't tell you the current directors names...some still think it's Ned. But what do I know, i'm clearly not as wise as you)