Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

16 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

All brass is the unique voice. I'm not even a fan of trombones, woodwinds is also my line. Not that it means anything.

i'd be a fan of trombones if they were used more than the glissando gimmick for 80% of the time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, MikeD said:

I think it is a ways out, as there seems to be little if any interest by the corps admins and staffs, as far as I can see. 

i'm hearing both sides. IMO the true decision maker will be how much #### they can all get for free

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Well, this is a rules congress year...

Back in 2014, when trombones were so magically fast-tracked for immediate and overwhelming approval, I said to myself that at this rate, activity leaders could only find enough other distractions to amuse themselves for six more years, and we would therefore have woodwinds in 2020.  Of course, that was predicated on he-who-shall-not-be-named leading the campaign. 

Nevertheless, I have heard a crazy, uncorroborated rumor that woodwinds are already in the works, and somehow to be allowed in 2020 without the usual one-year advance notice that a major instrumentation change would require.  But if that rumor were true, someone would have corroborated it by now.

I think they already did.

58 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

No. It will be sold as “absolutely necessary for the survival of the activity”. It must be allowed to “evolve”. Ironic, isn’t it, that in preserving its survival the brain surgeons turned it into summer band?  Yawn. Oh, and no, it wasn’t “always summer band”. Just anticipating that old worn out response. 

yup. After all, 16 years ago we were told that those that will be in chage of amplification will be experts, and pit sizes would shrink. Well, there's still balance issues and snafus and pits haven't shrunk

33 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

It is just common sense.  By January, nearly all DCI corps will have recruited, auditioned, and begun designing 2020 shows based on the prevailing rules.  It would be inherently unfair to make a change with such clear and obvious impact on all those aspects in midstream.  Recognizing that, every past sweeping instrumentation change has taken effect only after completing the annual cycle currently in progress.  

The trombone change did not have such an obvious effect on recruiting/auditioning, so they evidently saw no problem with fast-tracking it.

It is what it is.  Let me know if someone pretends that no one ever raised this issue in all the past decades of marching band experience.

Well, we saw what happened to the signature sound of G brass... and the signature sound of all-acoustic ensembles... and the signature sound of brass/percussion without all the electronic instruments and synthesized sounds.  The signature sound always becomes the legacy sound... the sound that judges no longer want to hear.

remember who creates the rules the judges work with. it's not like they make a decision on whats in or out on their own

18 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

I can as well....we finished 2nd that night 

Please don't shoot the messenger. :innocent:

Heh... once in a while over the years, an angry fan or two would come up to me and say "(this corps or that corps) got robbed tonight, and you know they did..."  as if I had anything to do with it. :tongue:

All I did was read the scores.  LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Please don't shoot the messenger. :innocent:

Heh... once in a while over the years, an angry fan or two would come up to me and say "(this corps or that corps) got robbed tonight, and you know they did..."  as if I had anything to do with it. :tongue:

All I did was read the scores.  LOL.

At least you’re not a weatherman lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ray Kimber said:

I want to post some additional info but I am getting an error 403?  is there a length restriction?  it is all typed text

403 is an authentication error. No idea why because I don’t have any insight into their back end.