Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

6 minutes ago, xandandl said:

it's those instrument mfgrs. or what DCI terms "sponsoring organizations" they acknowledge at Finals every year: I think the movies refer to them as "deep government."

There are few things (any?) the love of money does not ruin. 

20 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Why can’t “Bandos” leave us alone?  Who let them in and gave them all this decision making power the first place? They have their own activity and we have our ours. If they want to join us, great, welcome - but don’t try and make us you. You adapt and change your style to us!

People from the band world have been involved with drum corps since long before DCI ever came along. Why were valves and slip-slides/rotors added to horns? Why were contras added to widen the range of the brass lines? Why were multi-drums permitted, then marching timpani then eventually marching mallets....then grounded percussion? Drum corps has been a form of marching band for a looooong time. I fail to see the problem with that. 

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, MikeD said:

People from the band world have been involved with drum corps since long before DCI ever came along. Why were valves and slip-slides/rotors added to horns? Why were contras added to widen the range of the brass lines? Why were multi-drums permitted, then marching timpani then eventually marching mallets....then grounded percussion? Drum corps has been a form of marching band for a looooong time. I fail to see the problem with that. 

Ahh the always popular conflation argument. Yes, drum corps has always been band. Here’s the problem with that line of flawed logic. Once there is no difference between marching band and drum corps, there is no reason for drum corps to exist. They’re just a more lame and embarrassing version of marching bands.  Parents, family, other drum corps members, and 100 hangers-on are the only ones who would bother to show up. Maybe that’s where we are right now anyway

4 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Ahh the always popular conflation argument. Yes, drum corps has always been band. Here’s the problem with that line of flawed logic. Once there is no difference between marching band and drum corps, there is no reason for drum corps to exist. They’re just a more lame and embarrassing version of marching bands.  Parents, family, other drum corps members, and 100 hangers-on are the only ones who would bother to show up. Maybe that’s where we are right now anyway

Absolutely DISagree with your assessment. Summer-long drum corps provides its participants and audience with a great experience, which is enough of a "reason" for it to exist. Why do all-state music ensembles exist at the HS level? Why are there summer music activities such as Interlochen (among others)? They provide great experiences as well. 

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Why can’t “Bandos” leave us alone?  Who let them in and gave them all this decision making power the first place? They have their own activity and we have our ours. If they want to join us, great, welcome - but don’t try and make us you. You adapt and change your style to us!

Youre joking right?

Bandos leave us alone?  1st if they did, there would be no activity anymore. To not believe that ,would be just wrong. 

Now with that said, obviously you don't understand the drum corps people are the ones who infiltrated the band world because that's where the money was. When  that happened, drum corps people brought style and brought the distance between the both together. Drum Corps people also brought the band people as well as band directors back into the drum corps world . There were many before ,BUT again the lines became even more blurred, even more BECAUSE OF DRUM CORPS PEOPLE.  
To even believe this is something new would also be false. Decades in the making.

So if you want to blame anyone, and want to be " Left Alone " blame drum corps people as well as many of the icons  drum corps people  revere.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

I was around for the evolution of drums and bugles too.  Obviously the two are related, cousins, sisters, whatever, but when I hear someone say they're both the same....it baffles me.  It's like denying reality, or arguing the sky is not blue, or water is not wet.  I was there and participated in both, like you I'm sure.

The issue for me is I can barely tell the difference now, and the addition of woodwinds will finish off Drum Corps once and for all.  

I see in your profile you marched in Garfield around the same time I was in the Kingsmen.  When you watch modern Drum Corps, does it give you the same thrill, punch, excitement, power, make the hair stand on the back of your neck as back then......?

Maybe its just me....

1 minute ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I was around for the evolution of drums and bugles too.  Obviously the two are related, cousins, sisters, whatever, but when I hear someone say they're both the same....it baffles me.  It's like denying reality, or arguing the sky is not blue, or water is not wet.  I was there and participated in both, like you I'm sure.

The issue for me is I can barely tell the difference now, and the addition of woodwinds will finish off Drum Corps once and for all.  

I see in your profile you marched in Garfield around the same time I was in the Kingsmen.  When you watch modern Drum Corps, does it give you the same thrill, punch, excitement, power, make the hair stand on the back of your neck as back then......?

Maybe its just me....

It absolutely does give me the same levels as in my era. As much as I loved it then, I still love it now.

The best written and performed show I have ever seen is Blue Devil's "Felliniesque". Crown's "Relentless" is right there as well. Bluecoats "Downside Up" was amazing....Blue Knights "Avian" is on my personal all-time favorite show list, as are some of the old shows like 1969 Blessed Sacrament. I loved a LOT of the old shows.  1966 St Lucy's, 1969 Kilties, just about everybody in 71 actually. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 4:56 PM, Mello Dude said:

You answered your own assertion.  Drum and Bugle corps used to be different because of instrumentation.  Yes, it was a type of marching band but different in a very unique way.  J

Late in catching up on this thread, but let me ask this - my HS marching band was small - maybe 4 drummers and 12 other instrumentalists, but we had no woodwind players. Were we a drum corps or a marching band?

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Ohio State marching band has no woodwinds. 

So obviously, they are a drum corps! 

#tbddcitl

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 2