Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

It absolutely does give me the same levels as in my era. As much as I loved it then, I still love it now.

The best written and performed show I have ever seen is Blue Devil's "Felliniesque". Crown's "Relentless" is right there as well. Bluecoats "Downside Up" was amazing....Blue Knights "Avian" is on my personal all-time favorite show list, as are some of the old shows like 1969 Blessed Sacrament. I loved a LOT of the old shows.  1966 St Lucy's, 1969 Kilties, just about everybody in 71 actually. 

Fair enough, Mike.  Thank you for the honest answer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

It absolutely does give me the same levels as in my era. As much as I loved it then, I still love it now.

The best written and performed show I have ever seen is Blue Devil's "Felliniesque". Crown's "Relentless" is right there as well. Bluecoats "Downside Up" was amazing....Blue Knights "Avian" is on my personal all-time favorite show list, as are some of the old shows like 1969 Blessed Sacrament. I loved a LOT of the old shows.  1966 St Lucy's, 1969 Kilties, just about everybody in 71 actually. 

I agree, except although I really liked “Avian,” it falls short of being an all time fav, unless I expand my all time favs to top 50, but I liked it and without making a list, 50 sounds about right.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, frachel said:

Late in catching up on this thread, but let me ask this - my HS marching band was small - maybe 4 drummers and 12 other instrumentalists, but we had no woodwind players. Were we a drum corps or a marching band?

Good question.  Take the quiz and find out:

Did your high school musical group: have a drill team, involve cheerleaders (during field shows, not after the game) use lyres, have trombones, phase or march out of step regularly, L-O-V-E parades, play and/or do the Macarena, had issues finding a date with people outside of your musical group, do minstrel turns, emote random-intense facial expressions for no apparent reason (opps, bad example)…..?

If you answered “yes” to one or more of these questions you were in a BAND.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Why can’t “Bandos” leave us alone?  Who let them in and gave them all this decision making power the first place? They have their own activity and we have our ours. If they want to join us, great, welcome - but don’t try and make us you. You adapt and change your style to us!

we bred them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Ahh the always popular conflation argument. Yes, drum corps has always been band. Here’s the problem with that line of flawed logic. Once there is no difference between marching band and drum corps, there is no reason for drum corps to exist. They’re just a more lame and embarrassing version of marching bands.  Parents, family, other drum corps members, and 100 hangers-on are the only ones who would bother to show up. Maybe that’s where we are right now anyway

they have been merging closer together since day 2. if you look at all of the changes from day 1, it's been headed this way. Not saying I want woodwinds, but if you follow the history...well..yeah

3 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Youre joking right?

Bandos leave us alone?  1st if they did, there would be no activity anymore. To not believe that ,would be just wrong. 

Now with that said, obviously you don't understand the drum corps people are the ones who infiltrated the band world because that's where the money was. When  that happened, drum corps people brought style and brought the distance between the both together. Drum Corps people also brought the band people as well as band directors back into the drum corps world . There were many before ,BUT again the lines became even more blurred, even more BECAUSE OF DRUM CORPS PEOPLE.  
To even believe this is something new would also be false. Decades in the making.

So if you want to blame anyone, and want to be " Left Alone " blame drum corps people as well as many of the icons  drum corps people  revere.

this

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Good question.  Take the quiz and find out:

Did your high school musical group: have a drill team, involve cheerleaders (during field shows, not after the game) use lyres, have trombones, phase or march out of step regularly, L-O-V-E parades, play and/or do the Macarena, had issues finding a date with people outside of your musical group, do minstrel turns, emote random-intense facial expressions for no apparent reason (opps, bad example)…..?

If you answered “yes” to one or more of these questions you were in a BAND.

Reality check - if drum corps is so special, why are people paying $5k / summer to participate in it due to lack of sufficient ticket sales to support the activity? It’s not a viable product. It’s a hobby with a small number of people drawing a small paycheck in support of the hobby. 

11 hours ago, MikeD said:

People from the band world have been involved with drum corps since long before DCI ever came along. Why were valves and slip-slides/rotors added to horns? Why were contras added to widen the range of the brass lines? Why were multi-drums permitted, then marching timpani then eventually marching mallets....then grounded percussion? Drum corps has been a form of marching band for a looooong time. I fail to see the problem with that. 

The "problem with that" is the loss of an entire species.

We are one change away from losing the drum corps species.  Add woodwinds, and it is marching band.  For those of us who love drum corps because it is brass/percussion-centric, that will be gone.  I guess if you love marching band just as much, then you will see no problem with that personally... but please consider that others feel differently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1