Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

1 hour ago, KeithHall said:

40 Pages to say Goodbye? I hope mine hit 100! LOL

Is this your announcement?

(I'd have thought you'd have started a new thread!?)

Ok, here goes...

And this is just another in a long line of hard-core drum corps fans that has been pushed out of the activity for being too old, white, and staunch in ways of resistant to change!

We ALL are going to miss KeithHall, and someone should really make an effort to contact him and try to convince him to stay.  He was a GREAT supporter of the activity!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I was watching a DCI video on YouTube at work a few weeks ago and someone asked if was watching marching band. So, I had ten seconds to explain and my short reply boiled down to it being all brass and they do nothing but drum corps 24x7 for about four months per year so they get really good and can do intricate shows that most bands can only dream of. I guess that was my elevator pitch for drum corps - all brass and they practice a lot. Is an amplified bass clarinet as loud as a contra?

Does your dial go up to 11?

• Like 1

Here’s my personal concern, believing woodwinds will become a part of DCI soon.  Will I ease into acceptance?

As an older fan who has had his enthusiasm in DCI presentations renewed by taking full advantage of Flo Marching Arts Channel, when does the “bridge become too far” for me to cross?  Should such lost interest come to me is, of course, no significance to the whole of the activity. It’s a personal matter only.

Reality is, I have full access to all the WGI & BOA telecasts but have no interest in watching those events. Something is missing there for me to become an enthusiast. DCI still works for me, albeit in a new delivery format. A Summer Season BOA?  Maybe not.

By the way, the Blue Devils use of a violinist this year was magnificent. A highlight for me.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, garfield said:

EDIT:  Texas bands use big bass drums or actual long-horned steers as props.  Ergo, all Texas bands that use props are drum corps even if they don't have pits.  The Texas Longhorn band uses props (bass drum), is all brass (they actually are bi-band/drum corps because they use WWs on an as desired basis), and plays on flat snare drums during pre-game.  Ohio State is a band and marches pregame with drums up on the chest (and they have no pit), ergo they're a band.  Texas Longhorn Drum Corps is not a band because they flat drums during pregame.

As long as Bevo is around, and his handlers have the capability of releasing him to kill me, I'll let the Longhorn Band call themselves whatever they wish. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, garfield said:

Does your dial go up to 11?

With today’s class D amps and 800 watts in a 3-4 pound package, they get pretty close. 

With all change comes the question of what makes it special? If there's an opportunity to increase revenue and participation, I'm completely certain that the inclusion of woodwinds will happen. Believe there will be a max number for particular instruments allowed since woodwinds add no value to the visual elements with regards to any production. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

With all change comes the question of what makes it special? If there's an opportunity to increase revenue and participation, I'm completely certain that the inclusion of woodwinds will happen. Believe there will be a max number for particular instruments allowed since woodwinds add no value to the visual elements with regards to any production. 

That a very fair statement I would say. I wonder if they would increase the max size of corps to accommodate if that becomes the case.  

On October 24, 2019 at 11:35 AM, OldSnareDrummer said:

Woodwinds would cause me eyerolls and unless featured in solos or small ensembles cause me to strain to hear clearly, but wouldn't necessarily be a deal-breaker in remaining a fan.

At this point I think it is odd and silly NOT to allow woodwinds in the pit since any other instrument is allowed (strings, guitars, sousaphones, etc).  Plus, anyone can pull up an oboe/saxophone/flute patch on the synth and layer in those sounds as much as they want.  At this point, it's all just the look of seeing an actual woodwind instrument in the production.  We've already allowed the "voice."  It makes no sense to me not to just allow any instrument.  That said, I am highly against it- as I am trombones, strings, etc.  I love the look and sound of valved brass and percussion.  Only.  But that ship has sailed, sad to say.  And this is from a guy who plays sax and guitar for a living haha.  

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Is this your announcement?

(I'd have thought you'd have started a new thread!?)

Ok, here goes...

And this is just another in a long line of hard-core drum corps fans that has been pushed out of the activity for being too old, white, and staunch in ways of resistant to change!

We ALL are going to miss KeithHall, and someone should really make an effort to contact him and try to convince him to stay.  He was a GREAT supporter of the activity!

NOT NOW!!!!!!! LOL

I want to be a more PITA!