Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

On 10/24/2019 at 12:59 PM, Fran Haring said:

Please don't shoot the messenger. :innocent:

Heh... once in a while over the years, an angry fan or two would come up to me and say "(this corps or that corps) got robbed tonight, and you know they did..."  as if I had anything to do with it. :tongue:

All I did was read the scores.  LOL.

lol too funny Fran.  Maybe if you toned down your lively shirts you would be harder to find 😁.   

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Here’s my personal concern, believing woodwinds will become a part of DCI soon.  Will I ease into acceptance?

As an older fan who has had his enthusiasm in DCI presentations renewed by taking full advantage of Flo Marching Arts Channel, when does the “bridge become too far” for me to cross?  Should such lost interest come to me is, of course, no significance to the whole of the activity. It’s a personal matter only.

Reality is, I have full access to all the WGI & BOA telecasts but have no interest in watching those events. Something is missing there for me to become an enthusiast. DCI still works for me, albeit in a new delivery format. A Summer Season BOA?  Maybe not.

By the way, the Blue Devils use of a violinist this year was magnificent. A highlight for me.

Fred- I am with you 100% about BD and their violin. Between that violin and a synth. I am surprised Meehan didn't come up with a way to have them screech out some double c's in these last 3 or 4 years. There should be a way to turn either of them into quasi trumpets.

7 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

Reality check - if drum corps is so special, why are people paying $5k / summer to participate in it due to lack of sufficient ticket sales to support the activity? It’s not a viable product. It’s a hobby with a small number of people drawing a small paycheck in support of the hobby. 

You’re making my point for me.  Drum Corps is no longer special. Why go see something that looks like any other garden variety marching band with over-produced flamboyant pseudo off-Broadway props?

Im holding out hope though!  Maybe it’s just like a disturbing fashion trend that will work its way out - like crocs. 

5 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

By the way, the Blue Devils use of a violinist this year was magnificent. A highlight for me.

Yup. Loved that. Also loved the violin in the Cadets how a couple of years back, though I wish they had used her more.

17 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

You’re making my point for me.  Drum Corps is no longer special. Why go see something that looks like any other garden variety marching band with over-produced flamboyant pseudo off-Broadway props?

Im holding out hope though!  Maybe it’s just like a disturbing fashion trend that will work its way out - like crocs. 

My coworker wears Crocs. 

17 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Yup. Loved that. Also loved the violin in the Cadets how a couple of years back, though I wish they had used her more.

Absolutely!

I considered mentioning her, too. She had the look, the attitude, and of course, the talent. As maligned a show as it was . . . I saw lots to like there from Cadets. I still watch the Blu-ray!  By season’s end, Cadets made that show into winner for me. Not opposed to new instrumentation, just not a fan of flute and clarinet squads charging? the front.

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

The "problem with that" is the loss of an entire species.

We are one change away from losing the drum corps species.  Add woodwinds, and it is marching band.  For those of us who love drum corps because it is brass/percussion-centric, that will be gone.  I guess if you love marching band just as much, then you will see no problem with that personally... but please consider that others feel differently.

Oh, you are free to feel what you wish. Each of us are. We are posting our opinions here, that's all.

If I were made king of DCI, I'd wave my scepter and create an "anything goes" division, with no limits on size or instrumentation. That is my own preference. I do not expect anybody else to agree. It is just my view.

• Like 1

Will adding woodwinds increase the size of the corps or cut away from brass numbers? If they’re doing this to make recruitment easier, that only makes sense if you’re recruiting fewer brass. If you’re adding members, you only want to fill the empty seats on the bus or add a full bus of members so that transportation costs are spread evenly and to the maximum extent. So, would that mean adding 55 woodwinds? Not enough room with all of the props on the field. 

8 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

Reality check - if drum corps is so special, why are people paying $5k / summer to participate in it due to lack of sufficient ticket sales to support the activity? It’s not a viable product. It’s a hobby with a small number of people drawing a small paycheck in support of the hobby. 

because high school bands don't charge that