Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

16 minutes ago, garfield said:

All this is understandable and seems to mimic a lot of feelings here.

But, here's a significant issue to consider:  60% of music kids in HS and college play something other than brass and drums.

Attracting those players as a new revenue source is almost written in the cards.

So we should absolutely add Fortnite to drum corps?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, garfield said:

All this is understandable and seems to mimic a lot of feelings here.

But, here's a significant issue to consider:  60% of music kids in HS and college play something other than brass and drums.

Attracting those players as a new revenue source is almost written in the cards.

Used to give them baritones but that was when they had a longer practice season to learn. 

Wonder if anyone has to mark fingerings and learn that way anymore. Had to do that as was a trombone player

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Then, when it is all done, they will tell people like you (and me) that we are unenlightened if we do not love it.

And add the false strawman argument that those opposed to wind winds, overuse of props, random intense facial expressions (which I can’t tell if they’re emoting, or trying to pass a kidney stone) wish it were still 1971 with no changes whatsoever. 

Edited by greg_orangecounty

I share many of the concerns being expressed here. Again, I do expect DCI to become full-blown Summer Band. The sponsors are driving this bus!  There's also the desire to increase participation to additional types of young musicians. Plus, all the family and friends that come with that.

The decision-makers behind today's "drum corps" have willingly acceded to a free-form product. That will come at a cost to uniqueness of product and historic tradition. For me, it's somewhat sad to see, but . . . . could be the right course. I'm willing to wait until deciding to discount the product altogether. If that day does come, the loss of this one fan will be made up with many other fans who do approve . So be it.

Yes, woodwinds are on the way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

As for your other remarks:

The effect of bell-front brass?  Do not be surprised when you start hearing the creatives sneer at that concept.  These people turned "company front" into a derogatory reference.

This is an actual comment made on a marching band forum Friday night in response to the performance by that band I mentioned in that other thread (this was before anyone knew the scores):

"Ok, saw an example of what I was thinking about just now at the Indy Super: Grove City -- big, lush sound, but drill and uniforms are very collegiate (company front, what?!). Is that an Ohio thing, or a 'them' thing?"

Now the author subsequently assured me that she personally has no objections to bands using a company front; she was just shocked to see it done in BOA. But I couldn't pass up noting the timely reference in light of your comment.

• Sad 1

People have been saying WW's are on the way for 30 years....It is just something they want to complain about and fear monger with. Even if it does happen in one thread they will be complaining and gnashing their teeth about the decision and in another thread asking when San Antonio tickets go on sale and which corps offers the best seats if you buy from them.

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

And add the false strawman argument that those opposed to wind winds, overuse of props, random intense facial expressions (which I can’t tell if they’re emoting, or trying to pass a kidney stone) wish it were still 1971 with no changes whatsoever. 

Oh, that already happened in this thread about 25 pages back, before you arrived.

On 10/27/2019 at 1:15 PM, GUARDLING said:

Yep, a lot of it was the same. Have to remember some of those DCA people although were not some of the big DCI names of the times were a part of both and meetings as well as ideas floated back and forth.  One was Jim Costello ( Cabs ) was very influential on all sides of the activity in those times. As well as those who surrounded him.

Always found it interesting that Doc Sebastianelli,  a higher-up for many years in the American Legion ranks, was influential in the founding of DCA... which, as you all have mentioned, was started to basically break away from the Legion's control.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

People have been saying WW's are on the way for 30 years....It is just something they want to complain about and fear monger with. Even if it does happen in one thread they will be complaining and gnashing their teeth about the decision and in another thread asking when San Antonio tickets go on sale and which corps offers the best seats if you buy from them.

Spatzzz, please clarify. Are you saying "Woodwinds are not coming." Or, if woodwinds are coming, it's of no concern to me."  To be honest, such an addition is really of no concern to me. I will sample the new product with an open mind and decide for myself.

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Used to give them baritones but that was when they had a longer practice season to learn. 

Heh... remembering the old days in local-circuit junior corps with kids walking in off the street to join... "big guy, give him a baritone"... "small skinny guy, he gets a soprano"... and the stumblebums who couldn't cut the horn line or the snare/tenor/bass lines would either be put on cymbals or in the honor guard. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 3