Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

4 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

Piccolo high or just your average flute level high?

people that have serious influence and power in the activity high who are laughing at you as you type

3 hours ago, garfield said:

And yet, TCM preserves and shows over and over again "Legacy" movies and films, and their products go back 80 years or more.  Comcast is so certain that their fans will pay for the content that they are adding it to the premium-only service (upsetting many customers) even as the providers are claiming there's not enough demand to justify the cost.

So, yes, the world turns and the sun comes up and things change.  But, when it comes to generating revenue for a 75 year old activity that's trying to stay relevant, the example presented by TCM might be worth considering instead of simply casting aside the "Legacy" fans. 

It's not proven causation, but the duck has feathers and webbed feet.  We'll know how it quacks if (when?) WW join the field.

the problem is which legacy fans do you try to appease? 60's? 70's? 80's? now 90's? the way to do that was the fan network, and the cost is too great now to ever bring that back to life.Not saying I see total doom and gloom, but i truly don't think there's enough woodwind players out there wanting to get in to cover the costs....extra busses, food, insurance, equipment, housing, uniforms etc....to make it not a money losing proposition.

Not even sure i'd totally go away, but to be honest, I go to band shows for 3 reasons: I'm paid to, i can show off my kid, and to see my wife if she's working one, and usually the kid comes with me. i haven't paid to watch a band show in decades

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

the problem is which legacy fans do you try to appease? 60's? 70's? 80's? now 90's? the way to do that was the fan network, and the cost is too great now to ever bring that back to life.Not saying I see total doom and gloom, but i truly don't think there's enough woodwind players out there wanting to get in to cover the costs....extra busses, food, insurance, equipment, housing, uniforms etc....to make it not a money losing proposition.

Not even sure i'd totally go away, but to be honest, I go to band shows for 3 reasons: I'm paid to, i can show off my kid, and to see my wife if she's working one, and usually the kid comes with me. i haven't paid to watch a band show in decades

😎

Edited by GUARDLING

I first heard a piccolo line in a band competition when my band went up against Beyer High from Modesto back in the early 90s.  

It was more effective than flutes for sure because you could actually hear them, but in the end, it was just a bunch of shrieking piccolos. 

Hard pass for me when DCI fully transitions to WGI Winds in the next few years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Sunday nights TCM plays silent movies so those legacy fans go waaaaay back....

For those of us who who watch via online really easy to find something else. Personally going to give it another season with Flo as will be (semi?) retired and have more time (I hope) to follow the schedule

Edited by JimF-LowBari

13 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

I don't see DCI adding WW's ever. I think people just like to say that they are and proclaim it will be the last straw and they will leave the activity forever.....and then 2 months later they are buying tickets to a show. 

CITATION What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions cartoon white text black and white mammal font vertebrate line art drawing design art diagram line monochrome human behavior

If so many people have declared their exit while simultaneously shopping for tickets on the same forum, you should be able to point to several publicly posted examples.

I mean really what would it hurt....can you imagine some of the insane WW features we would hear....lol

I thought I addressed that here:  

But let me recast that thought in terms that you would understand.  Say one day, legislation is passed outlawing the use of spats.  Never again will you be able to see your beloved spats marching on a field or street, anywhere.  No one can convince you how it was necessary to make this change, either... they just offer the usual platitudes about "staying relevant", "evolve or die".  Dare you complain, and you are cast as opposed to all change ever, wanting drum corps to revert back to when the cavemen used bones as drumsticks.  

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Where have you been?  Nowadays, it is the synthesizer.  Even Satan has to evolve to stay relevant.

It’s the fiddle (oops already done)....

At least Charlie Daniels and Futurama (Robot Devil/Beelzebot) think so...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, garfield said:

Dog ear-splitting piercing high.  Like, the highest. 

(Piccolo... funny)

Yeah anyway-piccolo ?? Why not piccohigh ??

• Haha 2