Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

16 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

I think people just like to say that they are and proclaim it will be the last straw and they will leave the activity forever.....and then 2 months later they are buying tickets to a show.  

Ain't going to happen with moi.  Hell, because of where we live, there are no tickets bought now.  But, there will be no theater tickets and 30 day subscription to Flo ordered.

19 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Used to give them baritones but that was when they had a longer practice season to learn. 

Wonder if anyone has to mark fingerings and learn that way anymore. Had to do that as was a trombone player

"mark fingerings" hahahah!!!

I started playing brass (soprano) when I joined my corps (valve/rotor and eventually 2-valve) - when I went to HS and they gave me a trumpet, I looked at it and the music and literally said "ok, now what?"

😆

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, gak27 said:

"mark fingerings" hahahah!!!

I started playing brass (soprano) when I joined my corps (valve/rotor and eventually 2-valve) - when I went to HS and they gave me a trumpet, I looked at it and the music and literally said "ok, now what?"

😆

All together now.... O for open, 1, 2, X or B for both....

Got my first 3v in alumni type corps. Horn instructor had been around piston/rotor days so I asked (loudly). “Ok first valve is right thumb, second valve is left thumb. Wth thumb is third valve”. Got this “can’t believe you said that” look🤬

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Not even sure i'd totally go away, but to be honest, I go to band shows for 3 reasons: I'm paid to, i can show off my kid, and to see my wife if she's working one, and usually the kid comes with me. i haven't paid to watch a band show in decades

That was my drum corps world for years. LOL.

Rarely paid. Often was paid, or had a pass.

Now that I'm a paying customer... I'm still getting used to the cold chill I get when reaching for my wallet. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

All together now.... O for open, 1, 2, X or B for both....

Got my first 3v in alumni type corps. Horn instructor had been around piston/rotor days so I asked (loudly). “Ok first valve is right thumb, second valve is left thumb. Wth thumb is third valve”. Got this “can’t believe you said that” look🤬

I thought that bugles didn't have any valves when you marched. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

45 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I thought that bugles didn't have any valves when you marched. 😛

I only feel that old when I get up...

... mainly in my knees and feet for some unknown (cough asphalt practice fields cough) reason

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My expectation of woodwinds being formally added to DCI judged performances is well-founded. Looking back over almost 50 years of DCI participation, it is my belief this step follows what has been the natural progression of the organization. We can all name a long list of changes, from using a backfield starting line, key change, all through today's vocals and heavy electronics. One might not like the addition of woodwinds but such a decision does follow a longstanding pattern.

Would this really be surprising?

9 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

My expectation of woodwinds being formally added to DCI judged performances is well-founded. Looking back over almost 50 years of DCI participation, it is my belief this step follows what has been the natural progression of the organization. We can all name a long list of changes, from using a backfield starting line, key change, all through today's vocals and heavy electronics. One might not like the addition of woodwinds but such a decision does follow a longstanding pattern.

Would this really be surprising?

Not after following the entire 99-year twisted history of it all.  But it took me until year 93 before it fully dawned on me.

And by the way, how is this a "natural progression"?  Natural regression, maybe.  But nothing I can think of naturally progresses in this manner.  Natural mutation increases the variety of species, but this is two parallel species where one devolves to become the other in a long, convoluted series of disconnected events, some accidental and some purposeful.  

• Like 2

what was that featured instrument in bd's winning show this year, again?

how is it reasonable to think a ww used that way is somehow an impossibility in dci's future?

the only thing that's kept them from being legalized before is that you couldn't really hear them, but now that corps are amplifying entire sections for sustained periods throughout shows combined with standing still on megaprops while mic'd for minutes on end....seems like you'd have to be pretty dense to not see it being part of dci's natural progression towards becoming wgi/wgi winds. 

• Like 1