Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

V  R   B   ahhhh the old days!   Brass Getzen soprano for me. Didn't get an Olds Soprano until 1972.

34 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Natural mutation increases the variety of species, but this is two parallel species where one devolves to become the other in a long, convoluted series of disconnected events, some accidental and some purposeful.  

In the future, I would advise you not to discuss my family history on a public forum like this. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Lance said:

what was that featured instrument in bd's winning show this year, again?

Shoes banging on a platform?

how is it reasonable to think a ww used that way is somehow an impossibility in dci's future?

If that is how woodwinds will be used (banging on a platform), I am okay with that.

the only thing that's kept them from being legalized before is that you couldn't really hear them, but now that corps are amplifying entire sections for sustained periods throughout shows combined with standing still on megaprops while mic'd for minutes on end....seems like you'd have to be pretty dense to not see it being part of dci's natural progression towards becoming wgi/wgi winds. 

They may project better via banging on a platform, even without amplification.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

My expectation of woodwinds being formally added to DCI judged performances is well-founded. Looking back over almost 50 years of DCI participation, it is my belief this step follows what has been the natural progression of the organization. We can all name a long list of changes, from using a backfield starting line, key change, all through today's vocals and heavy electronics. One might not like the addition of woodwinds but such a decision does follow a longstanding pattern.

Would this really be surprising?

Why does “natural progression” have to include the death of the activity?  It’s still “Drum Corps” now (barely) even with all the added decorations, amps, vocals, et. al.

If DCI adds woodwinds with the belief it will lead to financial gain - I get it - but just don’t call it “Drum Corps” because by definition it won’t be.  It will be just a marching band summer league - no big deal.

Greg, I agree with what you write!

However, the prevailing opinion is, what you and I call “drum corps” can become whatever it wants to become. So long as the bills are paid, the various “players” remain intact, it’s a go. The ENDEAVOR won’t necessarily be dead.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

If DCI adds woodwinds with the belief it will lead to financial gain - I get it -

What would the financial gain be? Seems like it would be an added expense 😟

25 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Greg, I agree with what you write!

However, the prevailing opinion is, what you and I call “drum corps” can become whatever it wants to become. So long as the bills are paid, the various “players” remain intact, it’s a go. The ENDEAVOR won’t necessarily be dead.

Put up a trapeze with acrobats, it’s still Drum Corps. Bring in dancing bears, it’s still Drum Corps. Incorporate drones, it’s still Drum Corps. Skateboards? Drum Corps. 

Add woodwinds?  It ceases to be Drum Corps and becomes an ordinary marching band. I don’t see the definition as subjective at all.

11 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Put up a trapeze with acrobats, it’s still Drum Corps. Bring in dancing bears, it’s still Drum Corps. Incorporate drones, it’s still Drum Corps. Skateboards? Drum Corps. 

Add woodwinds?  It ceases to be Drum Corps and becomes an ordinary marching band. I don’t see the definition as subjective at all.

But keep in mind that our activity is referred to for the most part as "Drum Corps", and in fact our official name is "Drum Corps International". Maybe that was all done on purpose.

1 minute ago, denmum said:

But keep in mind that our activity is referred to for the most part as "Drum Corps", and in fact our official name is "Drum Corps International". Maybe that was all done on purpose.

Taking that 1 step further-maybe we should be called "Percussion Corps International".