Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Shoes banging on a platform?

adults probably figured out i was talking about the violin, and that it's not at all crazy for people to reason that ww could very easily be used as feature instruments in the future.  

for the record, i'm 100% against ww being in dci.  i hate the idea. but like i said before, now that corps are amplifying entire sections for sustained periods throughout shows along with all of the featured soloists and sections hanging off of megaprpos while mic'd leads me to believe that they're probably not that far away, either as featured instruments or as entire sections.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Add woodwinds?  It ceases to be Drum Corps and becomes an ordinary marching band. I don’t see the definition as subjective at all.

same thing people who were fundamentally against adding the first valve thought.  then later the 2nd valve and 3rd valve.  "then it ceases to be drum corps" is exactly what they said and believed as well.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lance said:

same thing people who were fundamentally against adding the first valve thought.  then later the 2nd valve and 3rd valve.  "then it ceases to be drum corps" is exactly what they said and believed as well.  

Agree-although they may have meant it would no longer be "Drum and Bugle Corps".

yes, they argued they ceased to be bugles with those additions.  even before that, people referred to it colloquially as just "drum corps".  i think almost everybody does. 

the underlying argument that instrumentation defines what differs "drum corps" from "just a regular marching band" is the key here.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Easy fix . . .

Drum Corps International presents

SUPERBAND

I think that is where we will go in the future-some take-off on the word "band". Similar to the way the Southern Cal band is referred to as "Rubber Band".-(the Trojans).Sorry, disregard that part of my comment.

8 minutes ago, Lance said:

yes, they argued they ceased to be bugles with those additions.  even before that, people referred to it colloquially as just "drum corps".  i think almost everybody does. 

the underlying argument that instrumentation defines what differs "drum corps" from "just a regular marching band" is the key here.  

Agree again, which is why I think maybe Fred has the answer.

13 minutes ago, Lance said:

Perhaps we will go to this-we now have "High School Marching Band",  "College Marching Band", so why not "Professional Marching Band". After all, Corps' do get paid.

Lance-we better get back on-topic so here is a question for the op: hey Ray Kimber-is there any name change for this activity that would make you want to stick around another year ?

40 minutes ago, Lance said:

There is no comparison to adding a valve or two to a bell front brass horn and adding woodwinds (or synths or strings or trombones).  Adding a valve or two (or even going to Bb) are minor changes to the overall look and sound.  Adding strings, synths, amps and- especially- woodwiinds is a HUGE step in a different direction.  No comparison. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guitar1974 said:

There is no comparison to adding a valve or two to a bell front brass horn and adding woodwinds (or synths or strings or trombones).  Adding a valve or two (or even going to Bb) are minor changes to the overall look and sound.  Adding strings, synths, amps and- especially- woodwiinds is a HUGE step in a different direction.  No comparison. 

Agree to a point-but is it really a different direction ? The overall sound should not change drastically from what we now have as a result of the singing and the different "voices and "timbres" that the synths are giving, not to mention the violins.