Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

3 hours ago, Lance said:

what was that featured instrument in bd's winning show this year, again?

how is it reasonable to think a ww used that way is somehow an impossibility in dci's future?

the only thing that's kept them from being legalized before is that you couldn't really hear them, but now that corps are amplifying entire sections for sustained periods throughout shows combined with standing still on megaprops while mic'd for minutes on end....seems like you'd have to be pretty dense to not see it being part of dci's natural progression towards becoming wgi/wgi winds. 

I believe there's some that want to add another bus load of bodies to have full sections and look like BOA bands with hundreds of bodies

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lance said:

adults probably figured out i was talking about the violin, and that it's not at all crazy for people to reason that ww could very easily be used as feature instruments in the future.  

Have an early 70s recording of Groucho Marx at Carnegie(?). Part of his talk is a tribute to Jack Benny and his violin playing. 

“so in honor of Jack I’m taking this violin” (crunching sounds) “ and breaking it”.

somehow that thought just popped in my head after 40+ years...

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I believe there's some that want to add another bus load of bodies to have full sections and look like BOA bands with hundreds of bodies

You might be right, but would that necessarily be a bad thing? If they could fill all 100 yds. with brass players and big sound wouldn't the "whole" audience appreciate that and not just the center section?

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Flashback to RAMD quote.... “DCI must be looking at HS MB and thinking they must be doing something right cuz of all the people.... keep that in mind for next set of changes”

4 minutes ago, denmum said:

Agree to a point-but is it really a different direction ? The overall sound should not change drastically from what we now have as a result of the singing and the different "voices and "timbres" that the synths are giving, not to mention the violins.

I agree in that basic timbre of brass and percussion is still the core product (for now!), but by continuing to layer in other instrumentation it looses its purity and what made it unique, IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Flashback to RAMD quote.... “DCI must be looking at HS MB and thinking they must be doing something right cuz of all the people.... keep that in mind for next set of changes”

Please tell me that was not from She Who Shall Not Be Named. :tongue:

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Please tell me that was not from She Who Shall Not Be Named. :tongue:

Forget who but “everybody” and that eubie doobie doo (trying to imitate Sinatra) acronym was not involved so doubt it...😆

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Lots of Bluecoats fans at game five. 

Game 5-the other night in DC or do you mean game 6 tonight in Houston? Which area would be more likely for Bluecoats fans-hard to say.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

same thing people who were fundamentally against adding the first valve thought.  then later the 2nd valve and 3rd valve.  "then it ceases to be drum corps" is exactly what they said and believed as well.  

The difference being it was a modification of a BUGLE not the introduction of a completely different class of instrument. This is a false comparison.