Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

2 hours ago, denmum said:

I think that is where we will go in the future-some take-off on the word "band". Similar to the way the Southern Cal band is referred to as "Rubber Band".-(the Trojans).Sorry, disregard that part of my comment.

WTH!  I’m a USC alum, but was not a member of the Spirit of Troy. Never heard our band called that before but nothing “rubber” phases us.  What DOES is being called “Southern Cal”!!! We’re not a branch of those dirty hippies from Berkeley. Southern California, or USC, please.

And BTW, our band has not changed in decades and neither have the other bands I see in college. DCI could take a lesson from them in that regard. 

Edited by greg_orangecounty

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

Lots of Bluecoats fans at game five. 

1 hour ago, denmum said:

Game 5-the other night in DC or do you mean game 6 tonight in Houston? Which area would be more likely for Bluecoats fans-hard to say.

You might have missed the joke there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Oh, was it politically motivated?

3 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

"They're not booing, they're saying... well... they actually ARE booing!!!" 🙂

• Like 1

Nobody is mentioning "the designers are bored!" factor in this series of so-called "innovation and cusp of the activity" trend. When corps employ judges and designers who have been at their craft for dozens of years, yes one gets the benefit of accumulated skills and shortcuts to winning but one also gets a fatigue factor of those people yearning for something different in these experiences and protecting their traditional incomes at the same time. When designers go annually from DCI to Fall Marching Band to winter indoor (whether WGI, Japan or jazz band) to Spring Training back to DCI such that it becomes the way of their full time employment or major reasons for employment (nods to Texas, Indiana and some California high schools) they may seem as if they are in the same old rut. Company fronts that relies solely on the performers without gimmick, electronic, or Cirque no longer excites them. They get a form of ED (experience deficiency.) So they "create" (translation: steal ideas from other groups they have seen...even Bloo's design team publicly has admitted that) something different for them. Like the SCV shows of late, the crowd doesn't always "appreciate" it and whistle it enroute home. Usually this boredom factor is met with a "throw more money at it and the feeling will go away." Besides woodwind players, look who is pushing/supporting the woodwind imposition into DCI at DCI meetings and even here on DCP.

Proof: when was the last time you awed at a designer's DCI show which designer has been at the craft less than a dozen years and didn't just copy the accumulation of some other high schools programs?

Conclusion: the 1980's and 1990's were a much more creative time for DCI corps with their young designers and energetic programs where performers and performance were key to sparking the design's greater value. 

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

WTH!  I’m a USC alum, but was not a member of the Spirit of Troy. Never heard our band called that before but nothing “rubber” phases us.  What DOES is being called “Southern Cal”!!! We’re not a branch of those dirty hippies from Berkeley. Southern California, or USC, please.

And BTW, our band has not changed in decades and neither have the other bands I see in college. DCI could take a lesson from them in that regard. 

Sorry Greg, that was my weak attempt at bad humor-the rubber part. But here in South Carolina we have a USC so the easiest way to describe your USC is to say Southern Cal. No disrespect intended.

7 minutes ago, denmum said:

Sorry Greg, that was my weak attempt at bad humor-the rubber part. But here in South Carolina we have a USC so the easiest way to describe your USC is to say Southern Cal. No disrespect intended.

No big deal. Even though we hate it our own stupid book store sells “Southern Cal” stuff.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, denmum said:

I can't tell you here exactly how my Clemson buddies describe our USC. But then, it's just a typical bad-blood rivalry.

2 hours ago, denmum said:

I think that is where we will go in the future-some take-off on the word "band". Similar to the way the Southern Cal band is referred to as "Rubber Band".-(the Trojans).Sorry, disregard that part of my comment.

DCIBands

dot com

• Like 1