Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

1 minute ago, Triple Forte said:

Yeah but from a potential members standpoint it goes a little like this maybe hey Mom Dad how about giving me 4 -5 grand so I can March with a marching band over the summer. 

Parents respond- why would you do that when you can do that for free at your high school or college 

You mean, like a trumpet player, a mello-player, a baritone?  A guard or snare drummer?

10 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Yeah but from a potential members standpoint it goes a little like this maybe hey Mom Dad how about giving me 4 -5 grand so I can March with a marching band over the summer. 

Parents respond- why would  we let you do that when you can do that for free at your high school or college 

That is what the parents of brass, percussion and guard do now. What is the issue adding WW? 

Plus, kids already ask their parents for double that much for other summer music activities, that can also be done at their HS or college.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Parents respond- why would  we let you do that when you can do that for free at your high school or college 

The idea of woodwinds in Drum Corps is nauseating and, if it happens, that will be it for me. However, that said, I believe there are parents that would shell-out that much money. It would be like paying for your kid to do a club sport, which MANY parents do.  Kids are just as devoted to band as sports and  Drum Corps ends about the time band camps begin. 

1 hour ago, garfield said:

You also forgot opening up the idiom to another 60% of music kids, and their parents.

Imagine the ability to start a new corps if your instrumentation looks nearly identical to the HS and college bands most of them came from.  Is it easier to birth and grow new corps with common instrumentation?  Notwithstanding all of the other challenges of starting and running a corps into sustainability and competitiveness, at least the new corps won't have to retrain it's MM's.

So, a very real question is how the varying voices of instrumentation will be judged.

I joined a world class corps as a saxophone player.  I learned brass to be in DCI.  I wouldn't have had any interest if it had woodwinds.  I wanted in BECAUSE of the all brass instrumentation.  There were many other woodwind players doing the same, and feeling the same.  Many woodwind players love their instruments but feel the look lame on the field and are simply not the proper tool for the job.  I wanted to be in DCI because it was NOT like typical marching band with "clarinets to the box" haha...  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

Not really. Just less interesting for him. I‘m sure economics plays a factor because the recording wasn’t cheap. I didn’t go deeply into motivation so as to open the audiophile versus plain old speaker cable debates. 

You are making an assumption that economics is driving Ray's decision to leave. Yes he recorded the Blue Knights years ago, but he has more recordings that go beyond Drum Corps that are excellent and have sold. Releasing a recording on the SACD format is not going to make you wealthy, so you better love what you record more as much as the money you make from it.  As a sound engineer and mixer, I record stuff because I love the sound of the instruments, the music, and the talent behind them both. Half the stuff I have recorded was not for sale, and the other half would barely make a profit. No need to go into his motivation because he already stated what his motivation was for leaving....it is clear. I understand his motivation for leaving, and cannot fault Ray one bit for it. I also cannot fault anyone who continues to enjoy what they are seeing on the field. 

Everyone has a line in the sand for what they will support, and that line is different for different people. We need to respect lines, not criticize them - we are not all the same, or have the same taste. For some it was amplification of the pit. To others it was the added sound effects, live voice, or the run from set to set and bark. I hated the addition of live solo voices and the lack of drill, but that has not chased me away. Woodwinds would absolutely be my line. 

Edited by deftguy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

That is what the parents of brass, percussion and guard do now. What is the issue adding WW? 

Be careful of what you wish for!

Understand the pros and cons argument, just don’t believe there’s any real value to be added by allowing WW use unless there are limitations to how they are to be used. 

IMO initially the departure of legacy fans will be huge. Those departures will require new marketing to fill vacancies, not just for DCI regionals or championships either. Some local shows will feel it the most. 

Other than increases in revenue for instrument manufacturers it’s another incurred cost to organizations who already operate in the red. 

A impact study needs to be conducted from both fans and individual organizations prior to adoption of a proposal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Be careful of what you wish for!

Understand the pros and cons argument, just don’t believe there’s any real value to be added by allowing WW use unless there are limitations to how they are to be used. 

IMO initially the departure of legacy fans will be huge. Those departures will require new marketing to fill vacancies, not just for DCI regionals or championships either. Some local shows will feel it the most. 

Other than increases in revenue for instrument manufacturers it’s another incurred cost to organizations who already operate in the red. 

A impact study needs to be conducted from both fans and individual organizations prior to adoption of a proposal. 

DCI has stated that they don’t care if the legacy fans leave so that’s a moot point, Poppy. 

• Like 3