Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

10 hours ago, MikeD said:

IMO judging not really an issue. Competitive HS marching bands have been judged for decades with all sorts of varying instrumentation. You judge what is presented, instrumentation-wise. 

In DCI, you are judged BY what is presented, instrumentation-wise.

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

let's be honest, many in the band world looked down on drum corps. Some still do actually

Back in the Stone Age we had a guy in my junior corps, came from a local high school band... against the band director's wishes.  "You'll ruin your embouchure" or something like that.  LOL.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

adding soloists is the gateway. just like amps led to synths, and any key led to any kind of brass.

The fine art of incrementalism. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KeithHall said:

The day I see Madison Scouts play "Rhapsody in Blue" with a clarinet soloist....I'm outta here!

They could bring Artie Shaw back from the dead and he'd have a tough time topping Chris Metzger with that opening solo. LOL

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Back in the Stone Age we had a guy in my junior corps, came from a local high school band... against the band director's wishes.  "You'll ruin your embouchure" or something like that.  LOL.

Oh yeah never heard it myself but used as an excuse. Our assistant band director was with Lancers and some people on Westshoremen board complained because they thought he was recruiting. He wasn’t recruiting as he was up to replace the regular band director in a few years and didn’t want to hurt his chances of getting the job. Lol he wouldn’t even talk corps to you... this was mid 70s

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'd ask this as a parent...you get all of that at school for thousands less. whats so special to pay 5 grand?

And that would be a good question. 

True story, 1969.  I was a member of Liberty High School Band. One (1) week from graduation. I notified Director Ronald Sherry I would miss a parade due to my first performance as a Reading Buccaneer. He actually gave me an ultimatum. I need to choose between his band and Buccaneers.  I told him “I choose the Buccaneers.”

The goofball than gave me an F in Band on my fourth quarter report card of my Senior Year !    Only failing grade I ever received throughout all Public Schools and later, three college degrees.

Yes, there was some tension between drum corps and band back then, at least in Bethlehem, PA.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Happened to me too! My 13 year old reply was, "How can it ruin my embouchure if I use the same mouthpiece?" I then got yelled at but no answer to my question!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

Happened to me too! My 13 year old reply was, "How can it ruin my embouchure if I use the same mouthpiece?" I then got yelled at but no answer to my question!

The horn is different so air flow... something... something.... lol....

Had a crusty WWII vet for band director. His policy was “none of my #### business what you do outside of band”. Same guy refused to have us compete because we had some two left feet kids who were getting confidence in themselves just being in band. Figured if we competed some band parents (not the band) would give them crap and kill that positive experience of getting self confidence. Ended that discussion with “you know who I mean” meaning 2 left feeters and parents...

Followed by reference to the “shrine “ in a display case to an all state quarterback we had years ago. Trophies, pics, footballs etc etc. Then guy went to college and ripped his knee up. “Trophies did him a lot of good now huh?” 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

A simple question.  Have you ever tried to keep more than one piccolo in tune with another for 11 minutes while marching on a football field?

I know my answer...…………………………………..:whistle:

Edited by Old Corps Guy