Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

21 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

A simple question.  Have you ever tried to keep more than one piccolo in tune with another for 11 minutes while marching on a football field?

I know my answer...…………………………………..:whistle:

even one is a challenge!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KeithHall said:

The day I see Madison Scouts play "Rhapsody in Blue" with a clarinet soloist....I'm outta here!

But what if it’s a clarinet soloist AND a grand piano?  Would you reconsider?  😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Back in the Stone Age we had a guy in my junior corps, came from a local high school band... against the band director's wishes.  "You'll ruin your embouchure" or something like that.  LOL.

The Stone Age-Fran you are really dating us. No, but back in the late 60's at least that was the prevailing thought in my area. But then when band camp came around a couple of us that did march came in ready to go while we could hear many others say-I guess I better start practicing again now that summer is over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

even one is a challenge!

Piccolos are somewhat similar to screaming trumpeters-one is usually enough. Or at least one at a time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, xandandl said:

and then there are those "piccolo trumpets."

Nice going-you beat me to that thought. Bluecoats last year. 

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

But what if it’s a clarinet soloist AND a grand piano?  Would you reconsider?  😉

NEVER!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

True story, 1969.  I was a member of Liberty High School Band. One (1) week from graduation. I notified Director Ronald Sherry I would miss a parade due to my first performance as a Reading Buccaneer. He actually gave me an ultimatum. I need to choose between his band and Buccaneers.  I told him “I choose the Buccaneers.”

The goofball than gave me an F in Band on my fourth quarter report card of my Senior Year !    Only failing grade I ever received throughout all Public Schools and later, three college degrees.

Yes, there was some tension between drum corps and band back then, at least in Bethlehem, PA.

That’s why I didn’t march for two years. 

My junior high band director LOVED drum corps.  He would play Yankee Rebels and Cabs for us.  He invited Norwood to hold camp at the school and that’s why I joined! 

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s why I didn’t march for two years. 

My junior high band director LOVED drum corps.  He would play Yankee Rebels and Cabs for us.  He invited Norwood to hold camp at the school and that’s why I joined! 

Nice!

My HS band director tolerated drum corps b/c he knew the type of member he'd be getting back after the summer.  I never went to summer band camp until senior year due to tour timing, and yet never had a problem learning the (very) basic box formations and music (no flip folder for this drum corps horn player).  And, I was never a member of the "Fanfare to the Earth Worms" brigade (horns down at a 45 so as to see ahead of you and see the music).  Horns to the box! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2