Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

15 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

You know what I mean. Thanks for playing dumb. Not so long ago drum corps was quite different from marching band. Today there is little difference, and thus little reason for DCI to exist. Add woodwinds and there is no reason. I’m not the one who lost the vision of what made drums corps what is was. Hint:  it wasn’t “excellence” or being the top bands in a pyramid of bands. 

Marching bands adopted the drum corps style, led by drum corps people who had gone into music education.

Being the top level of marching music is absolutely reason enough for drum corps to exist, much like all-state bands and other auditioned groups. 

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well some of the young people who did parade and standstill only alumni type corps did it because they wanted to try something different. Sounds like DCI is positioning itself to compete with the groups you named for the $$$$$ because even less difference

That is a pretty tiny number, when you look at it. There are 25,000+ high schools in the US. How many standstill and alumni corps are there?

Adding WW is not putting DCI any more in competition with other activities than it is now for all except WW.  

9 minutes ago, MikeD said:

That is a pretty tiny number, when you look at it. There are 25,000+ high schools in the US. How many standstill and alumni corps are there?

Adding WW is not putting DCI any more in competition with other activities than it is now for all except WW.  

My point was some young people do notice the difference in instrumentation and it was important to them.

As for the second point sounds like you think there are no horn players that might want to try a group heavy on horns. If DCI has same instruments as band well there goes that selling point.

IOW you look at it from the excellence stand point and I’m bringing up another way some people look at it

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

Good point

But

I doubt DCI would allow or implement woodwinds in a way where they could be marching on the field they would just be staged in the pit so you’re asking the parents to put out money to have you sit on the sideline and not march 

So, how do you get the parents to pay tuition, support the kids, and treat it as the "Major League" of bands?  DCIBands?  Allow all kids to participate equally.

True, some corps will use it differently or better, but those who don't think we'll see full, or nearly full, reed instrumentation on the field will likely be surprised at extent to which they're used.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My point was some young people do notice the difference in instrumentation and it was important to them.

As for the second point sounds like you think there are no horn players that might want to try a group heavy on horns. If DCI has same instruments as band well there goes that selling point.

IOW you look at it from the excellence stand point and I’m bringing up another way some people look at it

I'm sure there are a few who think that way. You specifically noted alumni and parade groups, neither of which are under discussion here, actually.

I look at it from the point of view that there is no logical reason in this day and age to prohibit WW, when the feeders to DCI are scholastic band programs, not old-time small local corps.

6 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I'm sure there are a few who think that way. You specifically noted alumni and parade groups, neither of which are under discussion here, actually.

I look at it from the point of view that there is no logical reason in this day and age to prohibit WW, when the feeders to DCI are scholastic band programs, not old-time small local corps.

Good grief- is it so hard to understand that MANY people, young and old alike, love the all brass and percussion of drum & bugle corps.  I can't think of many kids I know who are current corps members who would enjoy clarinets and flutes in the ensemble.  In fact, I don't think any current members I know would welcome that change.  

For many, the all brass and percussion sound and clean, uniform, muscular look of the all brass horn line is what makes drum corps unique.  Add woodwinds and all the other stuff and it kills it forever.  Why is this so hard to grasp?  Why must we become an all star college marching band and destroy the very thing that makes drum corps so unique?  So you can hear a flute solo or clarinet feature?  Great if you love that- I highly recommend the mutlitude of bands and orchestras that do that kind of thing already.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Just to clarify I quoted what I heard directly and do not get a chance to talk to competition corps members. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On 10/29/2019 at 7:01 PM, Fran Haring said:

"They're not booing, they're saying... well... they actually ARE booing!!!" 🙂

Booourrrrrns!   Boooourrrrns!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guitar1974 said:

Good grief- is it so hard to understand that MANY people, young and old alike, love the all brass and percussion of drum & bugle corps.  I can't think of many kids I know who are current corps members who would enjoy clarinets and flutes in the ensemble.  In fact, I don't think any current members I know would welcome that change.  

For many, the all brass and percussion sound and clean, uniform, muscular look of the all brass horn line is what makes drum corps unique.  Add woodwinds and all the other stuff and it kills it forever.  Why is this so hard to grasp?  Why must we become an all star college marching band and destroy the very thing that makes drum corps so unique?  So you can hear a flute solo or clarinet feature?  Great if you love that- I highly recommend the mutlitude of bands and orchestras that do that kind of thing already.  

We are giving our own opinions in these forums. You and others are free to believe as you wish, as am I.

Instrumentation is not what makes drum corps unique to me...note I said "to me". 

• Like 1