Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Perhaps people don't attend shows to be entertained, rather, they go to see the excellence, tremendous talent, however you happen to state it.  To each their own.  

I can say that I think that's a valid statement. But I can tell you that for the casual fan, entertainment may mean something different than it does to those who actually marched. My girlfriend is 28, has NO prior exposure to drum corps until 2 years ago. She finds today's shows to be entertaining and is amazed by everything show related. She sees it through different eyes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I can say that I think that's a valid statement. But I can tell you that for the casual fan, entertainment may mean something different than it does to those who actually marched. My girlfriend is 28, has NO prior exposure to drum corps until 2 years ago. She finds today's shows to be entertaining and is amazed by everything show related. She sees it through different eyes. 

Not an alum?  No kids marching?  Not a family member and no kids in band?

According to many in the activity, your girlfriend doesn’t exist.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, garfield said:

Not an alum?  No kids marching?  Not a family member and no kids in band?

According to many in the activity, your girlfriend doesn’t exist.

Probably true LOL. But I remember...long ago...being that kid in the stands in 1984 in Birmingham watching DCI for the first time and saying to my father "I'm going to do that." That's the lens she sees it through now. Granted, she will never march. But in my opinion, there is no truer fan than the one who has no ties to a specific corps and no care as to who wins or loses...only who gives her the most enjoyment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

Stephan calls woodwinds tweety birds. 😂

I gathered that.  But the irony of SCV having used actual tweetybirds was too strong.

19 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

You have it backwards. The “strong argument” has to come from the side that wants to pretend the addition of marching woodwinds doesn’t change the definition of a Drum and Bugle Corps. So far, 74 pages and counting, I can assure you no one has come close due to reality. 

The people who petitioned online and were eventually invited to make their case to the DCI board said the same thing about the addition of amplified electric pianos and such.

You want to pretend that the addition of a saxophone changes the definition of a drum and bugle corps more than an electric piano.  The amount of mental gymnastics required for that is pretty funny.  

Again, I'm stating facts, not trying to argue with children. If I had it my way, we would never have veered from G. 

Edited by Lance

5 minutes ago, Lance said:

The people who petitioned online and were eventually invited to make their case to the DCI board said the same thing about the addition of amplified electric pianos and such.

You want to pretend that the addition of a saxophone changes the definition of a drum and bugle corps more than an electric piano.  The amount of mental gymnastics required for that is pretty funny.  

Again, I'm stating facts, not trying to argue with children. If I had it my way, we would never have veered from G. 

No gymnastics needed to decipher this.

Thanks 

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Kind of off topic but since we’re talking about differences between bitd and now....

it’s 10:30am Sunday morning and I can hear the local HS band practicing. My band didn’t compete but could imagine the upshot if Sunday practice was brought up. In the 80s our corps had practice Sunday am but couldn’t make any sounds until 12:30.

Off the top of my head can think of two churches within earshot of the practice I’m hearing....

championship event today hence the rehearsal

11 hours ago, Lance said:

IMO, it would. You’re taking away brass and replacing with woodwinds or expanding the size of the corps. To me, that’s more of a change than a synth player playing an intro or interlude and then punching sub octaves. 

Reading all of this, I don’t get the impression most object to introducing new sounds into the program, electronically , even by live human performance  from the pit area.  Of course, not!  

What I hope not to see are moving woodwind player groups intertwined out on the field. We have enough of that all across America, already.