Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That said, sometimes you get a refreshing change of pace. On Saturday in at the Bands of America super regional competition in San Antonio, two weeks before Grand Nationals, the Ronald Reagan band won, with the highest score ever outside of Grand Nationals (that score, 97.3, would be enough to win at some Grand Nationals, I believe), and they did it without any props.

And if you've seen a BOA competition, you know that props, frequently large and extensive, are used by so many bands that they seem almost to be a requirement.

(Reagan also won despite going on seventh from the end: BOA semi-randomizes finalist order.)

So maybe after DCI decides to allow woodwinds, as a lot of people here seem to be expecting, there will be the occasional corps, or band, or whatever they call themselves, that chooses not to use those instruments -- and maybe they'll succeed.

Here's the show:

RR HS

Edited by Continental

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well they sold a shirt saying no to amplification

Miss a opportunity to make some money for the corps... not a chance lol

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, Continental said:

Just spectacular.  Really exceptional.  For those who appreciate drill design, this is particularly pleasing.  And, BOY! are those kids trained well.

Thanks for the post.  If they place anywhere in the top-3 at Grand Nationals, I might begin to think that drum corps has a future after all.

Also, just goes to show that 200 mm's on the field can present LOTS of soundscapes with different instruments.  I think I counted something like 12 or 15 un-mic'd flutes that came nicely to the box, and the tenor and bari-sax parts were really tastefully done even as the full band gave us several great "company fronts" at full volume (if not the "melt your face off" days of G).

25 minutes ago, garfield said:

Just spectacular.  Really exceptional.  For those who appreciate drill design, this is particularly pleasing.  And, BOY! are those kids trained well.

Thanks for the post.  If they place anywhere in the top-3 at Grand Nationals, I might begin to think that drum corps has a future after all.

Also, just goes to show that 200 mm's on the field can present LOTS of soundscapes with different instruments.  I think I counted something like 12 or 15 un-mic'd flutes that came nicely to the box, and the tenor and bari-sax parts were really tastefully done even as the full band gave us several great "company fronts" at full volume (if not the "melt your face off" days of G).

According to the comments in the video, they are not going to GNs.

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Not paying Flo regardless of how much I want to watch.  I'll wait until it hits YT.

But I'm *SO* excited to see a no-props show!  Their 2018 video on YT (sped up) is a real treat even if there was no sound.  Drill-people will be thrilled.  Central Ohio's Grove City HS will be a direct beneficiary should the judges now consistently reward what they ACTUALLY see instead of what they expect to see.

If, or when, the Borgification of drum corps is complete, perhaps those same judges will align the expectations and start to reward Marching Band's Major League regardless of their prop count (and *gasp* A&E??)

Could drum corps' current mid-life crisis and running into BOA/WGI's arms (with sufficient contrition, I'd suspect) actually be the path towards unplugging?  Oh, the irony.

(I'm pretty sure some here will say we're just seeing the last gasp of a dying activity...)

i pay for the year for Flo tho i rarely get to watch BOA stuff as i am busy with my own circuit

3 hours ago, Continental said:

Here's the show:

RR HS

Wow. In 2019 I had no idea high school marching bands could be this good. No wonder many here think adding WW to Drum Corps is no big deal, as bands look like Drum Corps now.

I may have to re-think my position on “Bandos”

Just now, greg_orangecounty said:

Wow. In 2019 I had no idea high school marching bands could be this good. No wonder many here think adding WW to Drum Corps is no big deal, as bands look like Drum Corps now.

I may have to re-think my position on “Bandos”

In my opinion, the very best high school bands, like this one, would score in the upper 70s in DCI -- if DCI ignored rules forbidding woodwinds and limiting membership size. Also many top marching bands have shows that would be penalized for being under time in DCI's World Class. That Reagan show is only nine minutes long (it starts at 3:30 and ends at 12:35 in that video).

1 hour ago, Continental said:

According to the comments in the video, they are not going to GNs.

Correct. The runner-up band, Vandegrift, will be there, though. At a glance, it appears that their show features props but only for decorative purposes.

4 hours ago, garfield said:

But I'm *SO* excited to see a no-props show!  Their 2018 video on YT (sped up) is a real treat even if there was no sound.  Drill-people will be thrilled.  Central Ohio's Grove City HS will be a direct beneficiary should the judges now consistently reward what they ACTUALLY see instead of what they expect to see.

As you probably know, Grove City (Ohio) went to a BOA competition this year for the first time since 2005. Musically they did very well: they even beat last year's national champion, Carmel (Indiana), in the individual music performance subcaption (where they were fifth) but their visual and general effect scores held them to 27th place overall. (They actually finished behind another band from your neck of the woods: Pickerington North. Not to mention Centerville and Lakota East among Ohio bands.) And ironically, they featured less drill this year than in previous seasons ... and they had a big prop: a sixty-foot long, four-foot tall stage with multiple ramps extending from it, placed right behind the pit.