Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

44 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You must not be paying close enough attention.  Most corps do a sound check as soon as connections are made.  The ones who do not are using a lengthy pre-recorded pre-show as their "sound check" instead.

that's not a real sound check. I see bands hitting several of the triggers for various different effects, as well as check mics placed around the field and on performers. what you describe is hardly a thorough check.

35 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

No amount of fussing with the technique of amplified sound and/or electronic sound can replace the unplugged acoustic sound. It just can’t. In fact the great compliment to the acoustic sound is demonstrated in the efforts that are made to try to get amplified sound to match the acoustic sound. That is likely why this was the point of no return for some who walked away. 

and unplugged 100% pure accoustic sound is never coming back to drum corps, like it or not, and at times I wish it would. There are even alumni corps that plug stuff in.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and unplugged 100% pure accoustic sound is never coming back to drum corps, like it or not, and at times I wish it would. There are even alumni corps that plug stuff in.

And ergo some people are never coming back. Which is all I was saying 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

that's not a real sound check. I see bands hitting several of the triggers for various different effects, as well as check mics placed around the field and on performers. what you describe is hardly a thorough check.

The band show we went to, late September so we could cheer on Brenda's student... exactly what you have described.

Some bands more thorough than others... but all them took time to check, and sometimes re-check, various things.

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

And ergo some people are never coming back. Which is all I was saying 

and yet people are still coming.

people have been complaining about changes in drum corps since day 2, and fans over several generations have drawn their line in the sand at what they will or won't pay to see and hear. Electronics is no different. in my humble opinion, only one real change would probably send a significant number of fans away, and thats a full on woodwind onslaught. And to be honest, i'm on the fence as to what I would do. I was horribly opposed to electronics at first, because i'd yet to see it done well at that point indoor or outdoor. But it's gotten better, and IMO the judging community seems to have grown a set when it comes to balance issues...significant prolonged ones, not just occasional "#### I HIT THE WRONG BUTTON" ones. The younger generations seem to be far more into whats offered now, and catering to the past at the expense of the young was a mistake DCI made for  way too long, and DCA continues to make.

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

The band show we went to, late September so we could cheer on Brenda's student... exactly what you have described.

Some bands more thorough than others... but all them took time to check, and sometimes re-check, various things.

even last week at ACC's...championships....at the 5 of the 8 shows i was at for some length of time, checks like i described were done...by bands placing anywhere from last to 1st. 2 i know of didn't...and it hurt them.

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Even the Marines! 

that's correct! They may still be on G ( not sure, not a horn guy), but they are plugged in. a full grounded pit. How long til a guard is added?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I was comatose to Drum Corps at the time amplification was introduced. What was the reasoning for it?