Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

37 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

that's correct! They may still be on G ( not sure, not a horn guy), but they are plugged in. a full grounded pit. How long til a guard is added?

No front-sideline "area" microphones, though.

I hope they never go that route. They are plenty loud enough.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

even last week at ACC's...championships....at the 5 of the 8 shows i was at for some length of time, checks like i described were done...by bands placing anywhere from last to 1st. 2 i know of didn't...and it hurt them.

Yep.... the show we attended, Brenda's student was asked to hit several keys, triggering several effects, while they were setting up. The whole front ensemble was going through various checks. Took a few minutes... but in the show, everything worked fine except for the audio balance of a woodwind feature, which we chalked up to "first show" issues.

Heck... since her student starts their show this year by triggering a sound effect... he'd better get it right, every time. :tongue: And Brenda does not hesitate to remind him of that fact. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring

51 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

that's correct! They may still be on G ( not sure, not a horn guy), but they are plugged in. a full grounded pit. How long til a guard is added?

This is the only guard you'll see with the Commandant's Own.  Yes they are still on G but most of the hornline is anxious to mend that.  

United_States_Marine_Corps_Color_Guard_-

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

that's not a real sound check. I see bands hitting several of the triggers for various different effects, as well as check mics placed around the field and on performers. what you describe is hardly a thorough check.

I only described the few who use pre-recorded pre-show as a sound check.

For the majority of corps, they do something like you describe so that every electronic instrument, mic and speaker is triggered and proven operational.  Several corps (Bluecoats and Mandarins are two who stick in my memory) start the process with a pre-recorded script that tests each speaker individually in a sequence so that staff knows right away if a speaker is missing.  You might not see this if you are watching via webcast, though, as they cover that part up with Rocket Mortgage commercials.

22 hours ago, MikeN said:

Singing = yay, and less hammering on marimbas from shoulder height.

Mike

smaller pit sizes which leads to cost savings.....and well we saw that didn't happen LOL

21 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I only described the few who use pre-recorded pre-show as a sound check.

For the majority of corps, they do something like you describe so that every electronic instrument, mic and speaker is triggered and proven operational.  Several corps (Bluecoats and Mandarins are two who stick in my memory) start the process with a pre-recorded script that tests each speaker individually in a sequence so that staff knows right away if a speaker is missing.  You might not see this if you are watching via webcast, though, as they cover that part up with Rocket Mortgage commercials.

oh i saw them all live. just testing speakers isn't always enough. 

22 hours ago, karuna said:

This is the only guard you'll see with the Commandant's Own.  Yes they are still on G but most of the hornline is anxious to mend that.  

United_States_Marine_Corps_Color_Guard_-

Almost forgot what a real color guard looked like. 

On 11/7/2019 at 3:45 PM, Jeff Ream said:

Correct.  They will be on G for some time. (2 valve).  Pretty sure Truman Crawford made sure they would never play fully chromatic instruments.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Correct.  They will be on G for some time. (2 valve).  Pretty sure Truman Crawford made sure they would never play fully chromatic instruments.

If you look carefully at what's been going on in the unit,  you might not be so sure of that.  For example, look at the radical change in show design in the past few years.  Recently they had a section of a show where they were uncovered.  That's an absolutely insane idea that would never have been even considered five years ago.  

The biggest argument that's going to win the day is money.  Those G bugles are costing the unit far more than the cost of an entire new set of Yamaha marching horns.  That fact is making it's way to decision makers (ie congress critters).  

The reverence of the unit for Col. Crawford has not (and will never) change.  But even he would want his Marines to be playing on the best quality marching horns available.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2