Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

33 minutes ago, karuna said:

If you look carefully at what's been going on in the unit,  you might not be so sure of that.  For example, look at the radical change in show design in the past few years.  Recently they had a section of a show where they were uncovered.  That's an absolutely insane idea that would never have been even considered five years ago.  

The biggest argument that's going to win the day is money.  Those G bugles are costing the unit far more than the cost of an entire new set of Yamaha marching horns.  That fact is making it's way to decision makers (ie congress critters).  

The reverence of the unit for Col. Crawford has not (and will never) change.  But even he would want his Marines to be playing on the best quality marching horns available.  

Don’t forget cost of keeping it 2v also. Expect that to change too.

3 hours ago, karuna said:

If you look carefully at what's been going on in the unit,  you might not be so sure of that.  For example, look at the radical change in show design in the past few years.  Recently they had a section of a show where they were uncovered.  That's an absolutely insane idea that would never have been even considered five years ago.  

The biggest argument that's going to win the day is money.  Those G bugles are costing the unit far more than the cost of an entire new set of Yamaha marching horns.  That fact is making it's way to decision makers (ie congress critters).  

The reverence of the unit for Col. Crawford has not (and will never) change.  But even he would want his Marines to be playing on the best quality marching horns available.  

Agreed. Right now there’s still some that are holdovers of a different era that refuse to see being stuck in the past turns off potential members. 

28 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Agreed. Right now there’s still some that are holdovers of a different era that refuse to see being stuck in the past turns off potential members. 

Snark noted. Stuck in the past is that a marine drum and bugle corps continues to exist. There is no reason to have one. But if it is going to exist, the instrumentation they use is completely irrelevant. 

35 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Really, any data supporting this?

It would seem reasonable to believe that there are potential MM's on both sides of this aisle. There are possibly some who would prefer to see a more "traditional" approach in both marching, musical selection and uniforms. It is also reasonable that a more traditional approach is not something that moves the activity forward. It's no different than anything else in today's society. Pagers did the job but I can't see very many of us, especially millennials, tossing their smart phones in the name of tradition. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

It would seem reasonable to believe that there are potential MM's on both sides of this aisle. There are possibly some who would prefer to see a more "traditional" approach in both marching, musical selection and uniforms. It is also reasonable that a more traditional approach is not something that moves the activity forward. It's no different than anything else in today's society. Pagers did the job but I can't see very many of us, especially millennials, tossing their smart phones in the name of tradition. 

I do several auditions every year, in ALL aspects of our activity, fall, summer winter and although you are right it's pretty clear what MMs like or at least favoring. I do think even BITD we felt the same way. I remember when getting something new and different excited most , but of course there were always those who resisted. Looking back I think some of that was fear for many reasons.

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I do several auditions every year, in ALL aspects of our activity, fall, summer winter and although you are right it's pretty clear what MMs like or at least favoring. I do think even BITD we felt the same way. I remember when getting something new and different excited most , but of course there were always those who resisted. Looking back I think some of that was fear for many reasons.

I remember when we moved from mylar to kevlar. Granted that was a huge change in the tone of the drums themselves. I remember people coming in pro and con. After all, duraline had been making kevlar heads since the 70's. I also remember loving them until I collapsed my first shell...followed by a second...and then a third. I HATED them at that point. Then I figured out that much like all of my failed relationships...the problem was with me...not the heads / drums. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

But what you subjectively judge as moving the activity "forward," others just as subjectively judge as distraction or going backward or trying to make a zebra into a chicken. Today there is not a commonly agreed purpose for the activity but rather small camps each pushing subjective agendas.

5 minutes ago, xandandl said:

But what you subjectively judge as moving the activity "forward," others just as subjectively judge as distraction or going backward or trying to make a zebra into a chicken. Today there is not a commonly agreed purpose for the activity but rather small camps each pushing subjective agendas.

Point well taken. It is, and will always be, in the eyes of the beholder.