Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

I do several auditions every year, in ALL aspects of our activity, fall, summer winter and although you are right it's pretty clear what MMs like or at least favoring. I do think even BITD we felt the same way. I remember when getting something new and different excited most , but of course there were always those who resisted. Looking back I think some of that was fear for many reasons.

BITD, I was all too happy to jettison my valve -rotor sop for a two valve!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jurassic Lancer said:

You rebel, you! I'm sure you probably had to suffer the wrath of what people now call "old timers" telling you that 2 valves wasn't a real soprano as well. I'm so glad I wasn't a horn player. I'm pretty sure I would have said something like "You blow air into it and it makes noise...pretty much the same thing as it always was."

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

You rebel, you! I'm sure you probably had to suffer the wrath of what people now call "old timers" telling you that 2 valves wasn't a real soprano as well. I'm so glad I wasn't a horn player. I'm pretty sure I would have said something like "You blow air into it and it makes noise...pretty much the same thing as it always was."

oh, you've heard him play?

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, xandandl said:

oh, you've heard him play?

I think it was BigW that I told I had built an entire drum corps career out of playing complex music badly. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And the meatball lower baris were saying people would mistake them for band horns. And no outsider would both to count valves.

Did really like what I could do with 3 valves so go figure... lol

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Agreed. Right now there’s still some that are holdovers of a different era that refuse to see being stuck in the past turns off potential members. 

It (instrumentation) is not really about recruiting potential members.  They have no problems filling open billets.  

Edited by karuna

6 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Snark noted. Stuck in the past is that a marine drum and bugle corps continues to exist. There is no reason to have one. But if it is going to exist, the instrumentation they use is completely irrelevant. 

Actually their mission (and reason to exist) remains unchanged and they continue to execute it to the highest standards.  It's not about instrumentation so much as the quality of the tools they use to perform their mission.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 7:53 AM, cixelsyd said:

Because drum corps does not have woodwinds.

Better yet, because woodwind players who are compelled to pursue drum corps will get an expanded educational experience.  They will learn a whole new set of skills, whether it is brass, percussion or auxiliary.  For those who aspire to a career in music education, that experience is of unique value.  For those who do not, the life lessons they acquire about learning new skills and rising to challenges will serve them well throughout life.

Not since 1973 has it even been possible to "just pick up a horn and make the BD hornline".  They created a B corps for beginners.  And when their B corps became too good, they created a C corps for beginners.

But if you still consider it a problem that it is hard to make the BD hornline, there are several alternate solutions.

• More corps would provide more such opportunities.
  • More feeder corps could give more students direct access to the same staff that teach top corps.
  • You could just keep bumping corps size limits up, or remove all limitations so that everyone can join the 5,000-horn BD line.
  • You could drive the other applicants away by raising the cost of membership, causing an economic downturn, or scaring them away with member safety/health scandals.

I know your method will never work.  The clarinet player will never make the BD hornline on their chosen instrument.  It will not be a "hornline" at that point.

Drum corps can i deed have WW if DCI votes that they are legal. But you are right....as of today drum corps does not have WW.

Why should WW players be limited to changing the instruments they chose to study? If DCI permits WW, then they won't have to start all over. Percussion and Brass players don't have to switch to a different instrument. 

No, clarinets will never make the BD "hornline". But, hopefully some day they will be able to make the BD woodwind section.

• Haha 1