Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

12 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Snark noted. Stuck in the past is that a marine drum and bugle corps continues to exist. There is no reason to have one. But if it is going to exist, the instrumentation they use is completely irrelevant. 

no snark at all. I know people in the corps. They weren't born for the drum corps of yesteryear, they were raised on the late 90's to the present. They'd love to get more progressive in show design, but those with power are stuck in the past. 

The Marine Drum and Bugle Corps will exist for far more reasons than 1982 show designs. 

12 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Really, any data supporting this?

direct commentary from people currently IN the corps

6 hours ago, karuna said:

It (instrumentation) is not really about recruiting potential members.  They have no problems filling open billets.  

younger potential members have never played G bugles before, and really don't want to learn

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

younger potential members have never played G bugles before, and really don't want to learn

Never heard that and I have spoken to many of them.  Perhaps, it's a Marine way of weeding all the non hackers out of the Corps? :)

Edited by Mello Dude

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Happy 244th birthday to the United States Marine Corps! 

Only branch of service founded at a bar! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I do not think that the use of G bugles in the Commandant’s Own is really that pressing an issue for those in the corps any more than playing fifes rather than flutes and piccolos is for the Army’s Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps. 

Military musical units are ceremonial and tradition plays a key role in what they do. Since being in the Commandant’s Own is a privilege, where it is a public face of the Marines, I don’t think too many Marines would say no and believe learning to play a G Bugle is a burden. Those in the Marines have survived boot camp and in many cases combat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Never heard that and I have spoken to many of them.  Perhaps, it's a Marine way of weeding all the non hackers out of the Corps? 🙂

Just can’t see someone wanting to be a Marine and be in the D&B corps and then say “oh you play G... never mind”. 

Never served but worked with and under “Marines no longer in uniform”. Terri taught me that “ex-Marine” is not a real thing... “once a Marine always a Marine”

• Like 3