Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just can’t see someone wanting to be a Marine and be in the D&B corps and then say “oh you play G... never mind”. 

Never served but worked with and under “Marines no longer in uniform”. Terri taught me that “ex-Marine” is not a real thing... “once a Marine always a Marine”

I’m with you.  After going through the crucible, I don’t think a G-bugle is gonna scare them off.  😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m with you.  After going through the crucible, I don’t think a G-bugle is gonna scare them off.  😂

Ask your hubby what the slang is for the equipment they use.... Thinking “G bugle is just another tool” but not sure if tool is the correct term.

sigh could have asked my ex-project leader (5” 4’ 140 lbs Marine) but he passed last year. He followed corps as his daughter was in Cadets until asthma stopped that mid season.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ask your hubby what the slang is for the equipment they use.... Thinking “G bugle is just another tool” but not sure if tool is the correct term.

sigh could have asked my ex-project leader (5” 4’ 140 lbs Marine) but he passed last year. He followed corps as his daughter was in Cadets until asthma stopped that mid season.

They’re Marines first.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

They’re Marines first.

and til the end.... ex-project leader buried in his dress blues with Marine League doing ceremony night of viewing. Anyone who knew him or worked with him saw the dress blues and thought “no surprise”.

wish Jim a happy Veterans Day. DoD Agency where I work has a Wall of Honor for veterans. Have my dad (Korea, Army Corps of Engineers) up there

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

and til the end.... ex-project leader buried in his dress blues with Marine League doing ceremony night of viewing. Anyone who knew him or worked with him saw the dress blues and thought “no surprise”.

wish Jim a happy Veterans Day. DoD Agency where I work has a Wall of Honor for veterans. Have my dad (Korea, Army Corps of Engineers) up there

Thanks, I will.  My dad was a Korean War veteran, too.  He was Army. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 11:05 AM, Jeff Ream said:

Agreed. Right now there’s still some that are holdovers of a different era that refuse to see being stuck in the past turns off potential members. 

I know at least one of the academy drum corps (Navy) has switched to any-key (B-flat)... it's been several years now, and I'm not aware of any major fuss. Maybe a commander fuss.  (OK... bad "military rank" joke there.  LOL)  

Don't know for sure if Air Force and Coast Guard also have gone the any-key route.

16 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I know at least one of the academy drum corps (Navy) has switched to any-key (B-flat)... it's been several years now, and I'm not aware of any major fuss. Maybe a commander fuss.  (OK... bad "military rank" joke there.  LOL)  

Don't know for sure if Air Force and Coast Guard also have gone the any-key route.

Has the future brought back the annual Navy-Air Force-Coast Guard DBC competition? (Add in Commandant's Own as hosts and Hellcats as judges...)

39 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Has the future brought back the annual Navy-Air Force-Coast Guard DBC competition? (Add in Commandant's Own as hosts and Hellcats as judges...)

Nope... I think that show is gone for good.  Regardless of key.  LOL.

Last year was 2011 in Annapolis.  I had the privilege of announcing it, the years it was in Annapolis, from 1999 on. What a cool gig!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

I do not think that the use of G bugles in the Commandant’s Own is really that pressing an issue for those in the corps any more than playing fifes rather than flutes and piccolos is for the Army’s Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps. 

Military musical units are ceremonial and tradition plays a key role in what they do. Since being in the Commandant’s Own is a privilege, where it is a public face of the Marines, I don’t think too many Marines would say no and believe learning to play a G Bugle is a burden. Those in the Marines have survived boot camp and in many cases combat.

It's an issue. 

• Keeping those bugles functioning has cost more than the cost of the new line of Yamaha's.  
  • Quality of sound is not keeping pace with quality of design.
  • Like 1