Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

Is maintaining the bugles really costing more than purchasing new instruments? I think my old high school (graduated in '86) is still playing the god awful Getzen F trumpets we had back then and high schoolers are babying things a lot less than professional musician Marines. And with aircraft carriers costing $13 billion, I really don't think purchasing new instruments or annual maintenance costs will cause a second glance.

Edited by cybersnyder

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m with you.  After going through the crucible, I don’t think a G-bugle is gonna scare them off.  😂

Heh... watched an Air Force football game a few week back... the other team called a timeout to "ice" the Air Force kicker before a field-goal attempt.

The announcer said, "This young man is training to fly fighter jets... I'm not sure something like a timeout in a football game will really rattle him."  🙂

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, karuna said:

It's an issue. 

• Keeping those bugles functioning has cost more than the cost of the new line of Yamaha's.  
  • Quality of sound is not keeping pace with quality of design.

If the Commandant’s Own was a competitor in DCI or DCA, I would agree, but they are not. They are representing a tradition. If we look at fife and drum corps, the musical quality would be much better with flutes and piccolos and modern percussion equipment, and firing blanks from a rifle would have more impact than a musket, and it might even be more inexpensive than maintaining the more traditional equipment, but would it bring you back to Colonial times? 

I always appreciate the wonderful performances we see in Indy from the military units, but I don’t expect from them what I expect from the finalists. 

14 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh... watched an Air Force football game a few week back... the other team called a timeout to "ice" the Air Force kicker before a field-goal attempt.

The announcer said, "This young man is training to fly fighter jets... I'm not sure something like a timeout in a football game will really rattle him."  🙂

Had the AF Academy corps at the Forum show in the late 70s and loved talking to them. We were about the same age so I’d get kidded “hey we need Baris, but you have to shave the beard off”. 😬Every time I’d go away thinking “thank God there are people willing and able to do what they do... and we have them”.

one year they sat in the planes for couple hours waiting for a ten minute window of calm winds to be able to take off (nasty windy weather that year).

other year “any problems getting here”. “No but one of the planes lost a windshield over Kansas”. 😲

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Had the AF Academy corps at the Forum show in the late 70s and loved talking to them. We were about the same age so I’d get kidded “hey we need Baris, but you have to shave the beard off”. 😬 

Late 1990s, a friend with the Marine D&B Corps asked me if I would be interested in being the staff announcer for the corps..."Of course, you have to go through Marine basic training, then be assigned to the Barracks..." 

After hearing those words "basic training".... I politely declined.  :tongue: I knew he had to be busting my chops!!!   LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/9/2019 at 11:39 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I remember when we moved from mylar to kevlar. Granted that was a huge change in the tone of the drums themselves. I remember people coming in pro and con. After all, duraline had been making kevlar heads since the 70's. I also remember loving them until I collapsed my first shell...followed by a second...and then a third. I HATED them at that point. Then I figured out that much like all of my failed relationships...the problem was with me...not the heads / drums. 

No, it was definitely the drums...  🙂

Mike

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tim K said:

If the Commandant’s Own was a competitor in DCI or DCA, I would agree, but they are not. They are representing a tradition. If we look at fife and drum corps, the musical quality would be much better with flutes and piccolos and modern percussion equipment, and firing blanks from a rifle would have more impact than a musket, and it might even be more inexpensive than maintaining the more traditional equipment, but would it bring you back to Colonial times? 

I always appreciate the wonderful performances we see in Indy from the military units, but I don’t expect from them what I expect from the finalists. 

Lol.  If they were a unit which recreated some historical ensemble (like the fife and drum corps) ,  I'd agree.

But they are thoroughly modern (still playing historical instruments).  You might not care about quality of sound but THEY do!  

The Marines have a tradition of equipping the Corps with the finest tools.  Broken down G bugles aren't it.  

33 minutes ago, karuna said:

Lol.  If they were a unit which recreated some historical ensemble (like the fife and drum corps) ,  I'd agree.

But they are thoroughly modern (still playing historical instruments).  You might not care about quality of sound but THEY do!  

The Marines have a tradition of equipping the Corps with the finest tools.  Broken down G bugles aren't it.  

Meh, the marines get the hand me downs from other branches.