Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

14 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Happy 244th birthday to the United States Marine Corps! 

Happy Birthday

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Never heard that and I have spoken to many of them.  Perhaps, it's a Marine way of weeding all the non hackers out of the Corps? 🙂

oh it's true. if you're talking to people in the corps, you're talking to the wrong people to get that info

1 hour ago, karuna said:

Since this thread has wandered to the Commandant's Own, here was their gig tonight!

looking good bass 1!

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Happy Birthday

And happy 100 year anniversary for Veterans Day. Be sure to thank a Vet for their service ... and wearing a poppy today would be a great touch! 

• Like 4

On 11/9/2019 at 9:09 PM, MikeD said:

Drum corps can i deed have WW if DCI votes that they are legal. But you are right....as of today drum corps does not have WW.

Why should WW players be limited to changing the instruments they chose to study? If DCI permits WW, then they won't have to start all over. Percussion and Brass players don't have to switch to a different instrument. 

Sometimes they do have to switch, if they want to be in that corps.  Snare lines get cut down to 9, but there is an opening on bass drum.  Too many baritones, not enough tubas.  At the extreme, too many drummers, not enough horns.  You made that switch yourself once.

And they all have to "start all over" when joining a new group.  Playing different music, marching different drill, learning different approaches to technique and rehearsal. 

No one joins a corps refusing to learn new things.

I would add if you are a horn player and you are afraid of playing in a different keyed instrument....consider NOT taking music ed or performance.  Consider becoming a percussionist.  Especially trumpet players.

• Haha 2

I wonder if the Marine D&B corps will be playing "Time To Say Goodbye" in their 2020 show? :tongue:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Meh, the marines get the hand me downs from other branches.

To quote Ralph Wiggims “me confused”. Thought Marines were only Corps on 2v G.

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Sometimes they do have to switch, if they want to be in that corps.  Snare lines get cut down to 9, but there is an opening on bass drum.  Too many baritones, not enough tubas.  At the extreme, too many drummers, not enough horns.  You made that switch yourself once.

And they all have to "start all over" when joining a new group.  Playing different music, marching different drill, learning different approaches to technique and rehearsal. 

No one joins a corps refusing to learn new things.

Switching from snare to tenor or bass or another percussion instrument is staying within the same instrument group, not at all like switching from clarinet to, say, trumpet for drum corps. Baritone to tuba...ditto. Still brass moving to brass....that player has at least a fighting chance in an audition. 

Of course members learn new things. Who said they did not?

IMO it is just long past time when DCI should permit woodwinds, given the makeup of the ensembles that feed members to DCI in this era.