Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Switching from snare to tenor or bass or another percussion instrument is staying within the same instrument group, not at all like switching from clarinet to, say, trumpet for drum corps. Baritone to tuba...ditto. Still brass moving to brass....that player has at least a fighting chance in an audition. 

Of course members learn new things. Who said they did not?

IMO it is just long past time when DCI should permit woodwinds, given the makeup of the ensembles that feed members to DCI in this era.

I'm beginning to think that you either have a farm which grows what eventually becomes woodwind reeds (for clarinets, sax, oboes, basoons, etc.) or you've become an ideologue.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Then it will be Drum Corpse.

Academy did just fine with that. :laughing:

• Like 1

I have to chuckle at Social Media and especially DCP!  A person says that they are leaving the activity because of issues in drum corps (DCI) and soon after (93 plus pages) it has changed to marching band and WW. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KeithHall said:

I have to chuckle at Social Media and especially DCP!  A person says that they are leaving the activity because of issues in drum corps (DCI) and soon after (93 plus pages) it has changed to marching band and WW. LOL

Hi Keith,

This OP has read each reply with interest.  While I don't intend to return to the Ogden Event I have considered how to selectively participate to bring some of my (perhaps wrong) understanding of how to add reinforcement to a sound.  I operate on the premise that you can't reinforce a sound unless you can record the sound.  What I mean is to accomplish the 2 tasks separately.  First learn how to record a certain sound.  Second premise is you can't reinforce a sound unless you can playback the recorded sound.  I think it is a ratcheted learning experience..., if you get better at recording you get better at playback, you get better at recording and so on.

You need to separably record each thing you desire to reinforce.  Reinforcement is not the same as record/playback, but lessons learned in record/playback are useful for reinforcement.  I think that "recorded music is like canned sushi", in fact I made lapel buttons with that quote of mine for a 2000 convention.  You can't do it!, really it can't be done. But there is a huge difference between pet food and Albacore.  With the IsoMike experiments I simply wanted to get closer to Albacore.

Next, work out how to reinforce a single sound before moving to reinforcing more than a single sound.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KeithHall said:

And what - you think that is off-topic?  When the topic is "leaving the activity because of... "?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I believe the reason for so many pages has more to do with  people drawing a line in the sand.  Most of the changes in drum corps over the years can truly be defined as "evolution" in one way or another.  Adding woodwinds to drum corps is not evolution, it is a change in format. That may be a bridge too far for many and they will add their names to the list of those who leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Sounds like face to face conversations I’ve had Keith. One thing leads to another and back and forth and sideways and...

• Haha 1

This article came across my news feed this morning.  The thought occurred to me that any DCI Show has a mixture of Intellectual Property possibilities.  IIRC there was a corps who marched in silence for a portion of their program  https://www.prosoundweb.com/intellectual-property-or-not-who-really-owns-your-console-show-file/

4 minutes ago, Ray Kimber said:

This article came across my news feed this morning.  The thought occurred to me that any DCI Show has a mixture of Intellectual Property possibilities.  IIRC there was a corps who marched in silence for a portion of their program  https://www.prosoundweb.com/intellectual-property-or-not-who-really-owns-your-console-show-file/

last paragraph should wake some folks up.