Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

On 11/25/2019 at 6:07 AM, Ray Kimber said:

Many posts ago someone invited me to attend an event in Texas in July.  I replied my acceptance of the offer, but I haven't noticed any email or other contact from the person who posted the invitation.   If possible could that person contact me?  ray@kimber.com

with kind regards,

Ray

Are you sure you want to do Texas in July?  I did basic in San Antonio during July and August and it was one of the worst experiences of my life, weather wise.

Just catching up on this one...

Goodbye.

Okay, we're good now.

(You do know that the cost of the horns alone blows away the cost of the electronics... right?)

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Even if true, does that make every such additional expense okay?

Yes.  Because it demonstrates a budgetary buffer.  Priorities can be made as equipment is upgraded.

This particular argument against electronics only exists philosophically but not in the reality of broad expenses.

8 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Yes.  Because it demonstrates a budgetary buffer.  Priorities can be made as equipment is upgraded.

This particular argument against electronics only exists philosophically but not in the reality of broad expenses.

So additional expenses is not in reality?

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

So additional expenses is not in reality?

No (to your reading of my assertion)...

Wide ranging expenses is a reality.

Budget prioritization is a reality.

A sound system upgrade (a decade now after they have been implemented in some fashion... let's not forget that) may be worth holding off on those 6 mellophones or 3-4 tubas until next year.  And this is just the tip of the iceberg.  There are transportation, housing, uniform, staffing, etc. adjustments that can easily... EASILY absorb some sound equipment (again, that everybody has been using now for quite some time).

The opposite could be said when a sound system will do for the moment and those 4 tubas really need to get replaced... yesterday.

All drumcorps are buying new stuff all the time... and all drumcorps are keeping old stuff all the time.  there are choices year to year that affect a program in the long term.

Edited by cfirwin3