Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

35 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I could go for an omelet, myself.

Taco night here.  :tongue:

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Corps admins create many different ways of looking for donations. A targeted one like you describe is just one of a variety of campaigns. It allows people to donate to a specific cause, as opposed to a general donation. It also means that if the corps gets $X in a targeted campaign to fix a truck or whatever it is needed for, it means the corps does not have spend $X from their general revenue. At the end of the day, it is all one big pot of dollars raised to run the corps. People have different triggers to make donations, so it makes sense.

Oh I understand that Mike, used to get 3 or 4 donation requests from my college (MB, IT Dept, etc,etc) a year until I told them to pick one or no money from Jimmy. To be clear I’m thinking of posts claiming that a corps needs $$$$ NOW or can’t finish the serason. Or maybe it’s we need the money NOW to fix the food truck or something else (I forget). Either way sounds like corps management has not planned for emergencies like this other than “depend on the kindness of others” to continue on.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Taco night here.  :tongue:

Just back from Neato Burrito and see they are hiring (12 weeks until I retire). They say you need “food experience” but not sure if they mean serving it or eating it. 😜

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

The Bluecoats didn't move placements with electronics until they hired new visual design staff, new percussion staff and expanded their brass staff.  Doug also started writing more technically contending music.  Not all of this happened at once.  They were still pulling middle of the pack placements with their electronic innovations.  It's all the other stuff that made the placement difference.

yeah i mean Rarick was only there since what.....02.....and the pit is the one place electronics would have benefitted from it...which he ran before he took total control?

careful when you try to make certain arguments with people wtching that know names and dates

• Like 1

6 hours ago, garfield said:

Uuhhhh...  I beg to differ.  There's LOTS of complaining about "the gear".  They like the effects because they think it's expected and there's always a better way to do it well.  Make it less expected and watch the spending and effort decrease.

look at the change in uniform/costuming since 2016

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I hear ya, Mike, and I agree the corps want to keep current. Can't blame them at all.

I just wish there was a tad more "truth in advertising" on the rollout of any of this stuff. :laughing:

Instead of saying "well... you don't have to give up your G instruments"...as I remember hearing during the rollout period... perhaps  "the sooner you get on board with any-key, the better off your corps will be."   LOL

what you mean pits didn't shrink?

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

I wouldn't challenge that at all.  And my original statement certainly leaves plenty of room for your edit.  When we are talking about electronics, top placing corps can and do spend 2-3 times more than corps that eventually beat them.  The gear isn't half as important as its usage.

So I would argue the cause of your correlation, however, as not being related to material assets nearly as much as it is related to the design, and talent.  If the huge budget is the egg and high scoring placement is the chicken... I think the chicken begets the egg in most cases (i.e. successful corps solicit more money and talent).  This has the converse effect as well such that when scoring/placement dips... so does the money and talent.

I think you miss the point or are willingly ignoring it:  your statement above is not reality or even documentable as the rule and not the overwhelming exception.  If there were corps beating the "top corps" that did it with substantially less A&E support (in either dollars or pieces of equipment) we wouldn't be having discussions about the "arms race".

Re: what's bolded, isn't it reasonably plausible that tech improvement happen each year, and that those improvements add design options that a corps can use to take advantage of especially-high member talent?  Would Bluecoat's use of the array of mics and field speakers even be an option for a corps that uses two sidelines speakers?  Would those two speakers present the same array soundscape that 'Coats achieved and scored the same "usage" credit as they were?  I don't think so.

A&E is, was, and always will be a judging issue, not a material asset or talent issue.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah i mean Rarick was only there since what.....02.....and the pit is the one place electronics would have benefitted from it...which he ran before he took total control?

careful when you try to make certain arguments with people wtching that know names and dates

Exactly. You and the Raricks go way back.

Heck... I remember seeing Tom as a kid on stage at the Forum, playing a snare duet with his dad.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lance said:

102 pages

quite the long goodbye

Especially since original poster has posted once every 10 pages or so.... everyone else keeping it up