Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

3 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Ever consider if not for todays drum corps there would be nothing?

Extinction  and insisting the world wasn't changing  in many cases was the exact reason many corps fell by the wayside back in the glory days. Ever consider those who survived had insight in every way to preserve the activity?

I would love the good ole days sometimes also BUT I would also like to pay 30cents for gas ,again...not gonna happen

Also as far as how the mms eat and travel today, We were death traps on the road in many cases. AGAIN the world has changed and maybe we got a little smarter in some ways? I hope so anyway.

The good ole days will always be something special to look back on 

The good ole days are part of who we are today

The good ole days should always be respected because if not for those people we wouldn't have a thing today

The good ole days are also often  about selective memory🙂

I would never want these kids to travel on the vehicles we did. And proper hydration wasn’t even on the radar.  Truth is, I could live without the proppery but I’m very happy for the safety and health of the members that is addressed now. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

So... you're saying that there weren't 30,000 fans in that 20,000-seat stadium??? :tongue:

• Haha 5

18 hours ago, xandandl said:

For one, while I was still a college and then graduate student and a drum corps and color guard judging apprentice, I worked with the Boston CYO office under Mons. Bob McNeill as a moderator in discussions between the smaller CYO/EMass/Yankee circuit drum corps and the parishes who "sponsored" them; what "sponsorship" entailed differed from unit to unit, the only common denominator is that at some point the signature of the pastor of the parish (who is also canonically and civilly an officer of the corporation of the local parish church) was scribed on documents recorded with the CYO office and the unit was allowed to use the parish or parish school name. Sometimes there was a small contribution from the parish to the unit; not always. Sometimes the unit was allowed to practice on/in parish/parish school property; sometimes the utilities used for those practices and the insurance covering the unit's practices and activities were covered in the parish budget, but not always. Some units had to pay for what they used. It differed place to place from the perspective of the unit, the clergy, the parishioners, the schools. Most units had to raise the majority of their funds apart from the sponsorships of these parishes and schools.

Well said!!!  (I shortened the quote just to save some space.)

Similar situation with the local junior corps I was in from NJ. The corps was sponsored by a church... part of the corps' official name was that of the church (Sacred Heart Crusaders).  But, as you've said with the Boston situations,  the sponsorship, from I recall, did not involve the church giving the corps any money.

We did get a rehearsal space, and a place to park cars when we were on the road for a weekend... but no, or minimal, money. We raised cash through various fundraisers.

Edited by Fran Haring

4 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Ever consider if not for todays drum corps there would be nothing?

Extinction  and insisting the world wasn't changing  in many cases was the exact reason many corps fell by the wayside back in the glory days. Ever consider those who survived had insight in every way to preserve the activity?

I would love the good ole days sometimes also BUT I would also like to pay 30cents for gas ,again...not gonna happen

Also as far as how the mms eat and travel today, We were death traps on the road in many cases. AGAIN the world has changed and maybe we got a little smarter in some ways? I hope so anyway.

The good ole days will always be something special to look back on 

The good ole days are part of who we are today

The good ole days should always be respected because if not for those people we wouldn't have a thing today

Drum Corps as we know it is dying.  We know that based on the number of corps that existed in the era I’m referring to versus today.  Some of the causes of are unavoidable; demographic changes, change in attitude towards religion, patriotism, etc.  On the other hand, some of the causes are self-inflicted by the governing body of DCI and could have been prevented.  I mentioned those in my original post.

It's not about "good ole days" or "selective memory", it's about sustaining an activity for the greater good and not to placate the egos of a select few.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Drum Corps as we know it is dying.  We know that based on the number of corps that existed in the era I’m referring to versus today.  Some of the causes of are unavoidable; demographic changes, change in attitude towards religion, patriotism, etc.  On the other hand, some of the causes are self-inflicted by the governing body of DCI and could have been prevented.  I mentioned those in my original post.

It's not about "good ole days" or "selective memory", it's about sustaining an activity for the greater good and not to placate the egos of a select few.  

Edited by GUARDLING

35 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

size doesnt equal quality. Sure i'd love more corps. But I don't want 25 good ones and 100 not good ones

• Haha 1

This thread is still going?!?!?! Over 1500? I guess it's offseason. (Yes I recognize the hypocrisy and irony of me adding to this thread 😎)

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, xandandl said:

I agree with MikeD, an alumnus of the corps, that the previous poster makes conclusions without all the facts. 

Then present your "facts". 

Better yet, why take either your word or mine?  Why not go straight to the source - people who were actually there back then?

As Dave Shaw, Cadet alum 1950-1958, describes it (or read the whole webpage yourself at http://theholynamecadets.org/history/history_58.php)...

In 1958 the Cadets were defending National Champions. Holy Name Parish was
building a new Church, and the Pastor, never particularly supportive of the
Corps, decided that the Cadets should not travel to Chicago to defend that
title, and that all funds in reserve for that purpose should be turned over to
the Church Building Fund (the Cadets' bank account was under Church control).

The Corps´ adult leadership, under Director William Kemmerer, Sr.
(affectionately known as Chief), pursued a solution which they felt addressed
the concerns of all parties. Uniforms (modeled on the Scout House uniform, with
their blessing) were purchased by the individual Cadets. Equipment was loaned to
The Cadets by the Cavaliers and Caballeros. Expense money was raised by the
Corps Booster Association, and the Corps committed to not participate in the
contest as the Holy Name Cadets. .

It should be noted that no one in the Cadet organization, at any time, viewed
this as an act of defiance against the Church or the Church Pastor. It was
honestly, though perhaps naively, viewed as a one-event compromise designed to
satisfy both the concerns of the Pastor and the responsibilities of the Cadets
to the American Legion as defending champions.

The Cadets' American Legion sponsor, Post #255 of Garfield, recognized the Corps
as their legitimate representatives, and the National American Legion accepted
the Post's designation, and recognized the temporarily-named Garfield Cadets as
the defending National Champions. The Corps' original application as the Holy
Name Cadets, was determined to be valid and still applicable under the new
name..

So to review:

• corps knows church does not want them to go to Nationals
  • corps goes anyway
  • corps "assuming" compromise will go over well proves they did not communicate about their plan to the church
  • corps procures equipment, uniforms
  • corps adopts new name

Again I ask, who pulled away from whom?

(Spoiler alert - both corps and church pulled away from each other.)

Just wondering if the $upport Post 255 gave the corps changed after the Holy Name split. The Post was the official AL sponsor for the corps in the past so wonder if anything changed as far as the Post or national AL was concerned