Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

To any reading this thread:

You'll note that no Cadets' alums criticized or challenged what either Mike D or I posted in response to Cixelsyd and there are over two dozen usual posters who are Cadets alums.

DCP in its protocol limits the discussion of personal religious beliefs, disparaging person's reputations, or presenting rumors as truth. This is why I have ended my discussion of the matter as I do not disagree with anything Dave Shaw and co-authors published but do not see it as infallible papal statements. I have pm-d a several page response to the Cixel and others who have posted attempting to explain my academic research and how these conclusions were reached. At this point, the "discussion" is much more appropriate to the "historical junior corps" forum. 

I certainly never said I was the cause/source/or otherwise for the new relationship between the parish and corps, neither with which I am currently affiliated nor am I currently affiliated with any corps. If anything, it has been Deacon Thomas (Scotty) McGarry, Ph.D. (Fordham) who has been the main energy to keep the parish and corps in positive relations. His presentations at The Cadets Corps History nights during Spring Training and in liturgical matters for the corps at the parish have been outstanding, a real example of the excellence the corps seeks to personify. Former Cadets Director Joe Cinzio, his wife Sophie and their family, who are past and current members of Most Holy Name and who was the director who first affiliated me with the corps share with many alums the impetus which has brought the Cadets, in the words of the current pastor Msgr. Reilly, "home."

Because much of what is involved in those years also pivots on people’s reputations, individual’s religious practice, corps’ reputations, and matters of conscience… all topics which DCP protocols strictly forbid discussion when it is not specific to a given corps at the present time (such as the GH problem,) neither MikeD or I enunciated further aspects which you seek as “facts.” Others may share their personal conversion routes. That’s not my job.  You may not accept assessments, interviews, educated opinions as facts. (Most of my written records and citations were destroyed when my house was damaged by Hurricane Sandy in 2012 and then by the devasting house fire the following year.) The only criticisms of what I posted have come from those outside the corps history and family. I consider the matter of my posting in defense of MikeD to be closed and I will not comment further on this.

Have a blessed Christmas, Chanankah, and new year.

Edited by xandandl

A simple "yes, it was some of each" would have sufficed.

As for the whole Holy Name/1958 saga, please do not misunderstand where I am coming from.  This was a corps at the pinnacle of the activity, both on and off the field, IMO.  Their character and leadership carried them through this transition and made them a role model for other corps as the activity evolved.  Their accomplishments are a source of pride for all of us who love drum corps.

May your holiday season be a joyous one.

6 hours ago, xandandl said:

To any reading this thread:

You'll note that no Cadets' alums criticized or challenged what either Mike D or I posted in response to Cixelsyd and there are over two dozen usual posters who are Cadets alums.

DCP in its protocol limits the discussion of personal religious beliefs, disparaging person's reputations, or presenting rumors as truth. This is why I have ended my discussion of the matter as I do not disagree with anything Dave Shaw and co-authors published but do not see it as infallible papal statements. I have pm-d a several page response to the Cixel and others who have posted attempting to explain my academic research and how these conclusions were reached. At this point, the "discussion" is much more appropriate to the "historical junior corps" forum. 

I certainly never said I was the cause/source/or otherwise for the new relationship between the parish and corps, neither with which I am currently affiliated nor am I currently affiliated with any corps. If anything, it has been Deacon Thomas (Scotty) McGarry, Ph.D. (Fordham) who has been the main energy to keep the parish and corps in positive relations. His presentations at The Cadets Corps History nights during Spring Training and in liturgical matters for the corps at the parish have been outstanding, a real example of the excellence the corps seeks to personify. Former Cadets Director Joe Cinzio, his wife Sophie and their family, who are past and current members of Most Holy Name and who was the director who first affiliated me with the corps share with many alums the impetus which has brought the Cadets, in the words of the current pastor Msgr. Reilly, "home."

Because much of what is involved in those years also pivots on people’s reputations, individual’s religious practice, corps’ reputations, and matters of conscience… all topics which DCP protocols strictly forbid discussion when it is not specific to a given corps at the present time (such as the GH problem,) neither MikeD or I enunciated further aspects which you seek as “facts.” Others may share their personal conversion routes. That’s not my job.  You may not accept assessments, interviews, educated opinions as facts. (Most of my written records and citations were destroyed when my house was damaged by Hurricane Sandy in 2012 and then by the devasting house fire the following year.) The only criticisms of what I posted have come from those outside the corps history and family. I consider the matter of my posting in defense of MikeD to be closed and I will not comment further on this.

Have a blessed Christmas, Chanankah, and new year.

So the PM you sent that says essentially all of this was necessary how?

I'll respond here as I was about to respond there: You presume too much when you consider how much I care about the whole "Shaw" episode.  None of this makes me want to change my screen name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

This is one heck of a long good bye!

Well considering the guy who started the thread hardly posts sounds like everyone else doing the good bye....

On 12/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep never thought I’d see “Sr” corps worrying about nutrition, stretching and strengthening after my years in the 70s/80s. Now I think “wish the #### we had done that bitd”...

Well Jim, you wouldn't want to twist your ankle running off the field to that "gush n' go" beer break. (j/k......sorta of.... LOL)

My first year back in DCA, they made us run after stretching at the first camp. Granted it was around a gym but I only run these days if something is chasing me that I can't kill before it kills me. Or redheads...I do run from redheads. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Well Jim, you wouldn't want to twist your ankle running off the field to that "gush n' go" beer break. (j/k......sorta of.... LOL)

My first year back in DCA, they made us run after stretching at the first camp. Granted it was around a gym but I only run these days if something is chasing me that I can't kill before it kills me. Or redheads...I do run from redheads. 

So if a redhead gets mad would that be considered ginger snaps? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mello Dude said:

So if a redhead gets mad would that be considered ginger snaps? 🙂

LOL. Probably so. I have, unfortunately, not chosen to run fast enough in the other direction before and it makes a dent in my bank account monthly. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Thinking about it the only healthy thing we did was starting no beer day of show rule. But think that had to do with reforming the corps with a lot of minors more than anything else. 
But man nothing like sleeping in a bus overnight and waking up to yummy yummy Chez Arches (aka McDonalds). And if in NJ/NY stopping around 1am at the traditional meal stop in Philipsburg,NJ at.... MickeyDs. Buses would stop there on way to show to warn the manager “we’d be back”...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1