Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

And a reason why senior corps came into prominence after World War II.

A number of teenagers... junior-corps members... who had served during the war returned home as 20-something young adults, too old for junior corps.

As a result, numerous senior corps... Hawthorne Caballeros, NY Skyliners, Reilly Raiders, Yankee Rebels, among others... arrived on the scene.

Archer Epler and Westshoremen off top of my head had Jr roots too. Rochester Crusaders started ca 1946 IIRC but not sure of their roots. Same with Pittsburgh Rockets I think

and my first camera 55 or so years ago was from a gas station promotion.... not Grandpas station though.... 🙄

7 hours ago, xandandl said:

yes, BITD of 3 peats and 100 corps in prelims, there were never 55 people on "faculty" (one for left handed spins, one for the right drummers stick, etc.) or 20 on admin. staffs, not counting the 18 drivers and rotations.

and not all 55 are on duty full time. some never do more than winter camps. some never winter camps. some are only out there for 2 weeks or maybe spring training. 

12 hours ago, MikeD said:

You place the blame on the corps

No... I am saying it was some of each.  That is why I said, "Not all were for the same reasons, of course."  That is why I responded to your sweeping, errant generalizations in the first place.

JimF-LowBari understood what I wrote:

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Reading History of Drum Corps Volume 2 (mostly history of few dozen top corps) it was both. Just depends which corps you are looking at. 

So, how can what we have be saved?

We all talk doom and gloom. Drum corps is dying! We know it is but how do we save it? Can it be brought back to life?

Yes it takes money! Drum corps is a business!

We remember what it was a long time ago.....Legion Posts, Fire Halls, and churches sponsoring drum corps!

Today corps need Corporate sponsors, 4 to 5 busses, 2 tractor trailers, mega-fuel costs, food trailers, etc.

Corps members need private funding to march a season......transportation costs to camps, money for tour, Tour fees of $5,000. All this to be worked harder than they ever worked before, run around a field in the hot sun!

Even at the All-Age level...how can we save it?

What ideas do DCI and DCA have? Has this ever been brought up? Are they okay with the activity?

Some things to ponder or gripe about!

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

No... I am saying it was some of each.  That is why I said, "Not all were for the same reasons, of course."  That is why I responded to your sweeping, errant generalizations in the first place.

JimF-LowBari understood what I wrote:

Well really wasn’t responding directly, just bringing up the point but we understand each other so 👍

2 hours ago, KeithHall said:

So, how can what we have be saved?

We all talk doom and gloom. Drum corps is dying! We know it is but how do we save it? Can it be brought back to life?

Yes it takes money! Drum corps is a business!

We remember what it was a long time ago.....Legion Posts, Fire Halls, and churches sponsoring drum corps!

Today corps need Corporate sponsors, 4 to 5 busses, 2 tractor trailers, mega-fuel costs, food trailers, etc.

Corps members need private funding to march a season......transportation costs to camps, money for tour, Tour fees of $5,000. All this to be worked harder than they ever worked before, run around a field in the hot sun!

Even at the All-Age level...how can we save it?

What ideas do DCI and DCA have? Has this ever been brought up? Are they okay with the activity?

Some things to ponder or gripe about!

i don't sense doom with DCI. it'll never be what it was

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well those you mentioned have a lot less costs involved too...not doing nationwide tours helps

Maintaining relevance includes demonstrating a business model that is workable.  If DCI's model is crippled by touring, then they haven't maintained relevance.

It's not as though WGI and competitive corps-style bands get a free pass because they still travel weekends, but their model is obviously more maintainable than the one DCI is using.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra tours 21 semis, over 30 performers, and over 70 crew and rakes in $70million/year in more than 100 shows in over 60 cities.  Taylor Swift tours 17 tractor trailers and a crew of over 30.  Obviously, "touring" is not the big problem with DCI remaining relevant.

44 minutes ago, garfield said:

Maintaining relevance includes demonstrating a business model that is workable.  If DCI's model is crippled by touring, then they haven't maintained relevance.

It's not as though WGI and competitive corps-style bands get a free pass because they still travel weekends, but their model is obviously more maintainable than the one DCI is using.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra tours 21 semis, over 30 performers, and over 70 crew and rakes in $70million/year in more than 100 shows in over 60 cities.  Taylor Swift tours 17 tractor trailers and a crew of over 30.  Obviously, "touring" is not the big problem with DCI remaining relevant.

Whoa slow down there speedy. So you’re saying that you gotta not spend more than you take in? That’s CRAZY TALK!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra tours 21 semis, over 30 performers, and over 70 crew and rakes in $70million/year in more than 100 shows in over 60 cities.  

And how does the DCI tour compare?

• over 100 semis
  • over 4000 performers
  • over 1000 crew
  • rakes in less than $20 million
  • right around 100 shows, mostly in different cities

So your reaction is... ?