Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

The "problem with that" is the loss of an entire species.

We are one change away from losing the drum corps species.  Add woodwinds, and it is marching band.  For those of us who love drum corps because it is brass/percussion-centric, that will be gone.  I guess if you love marching band just as much, then you will see no problem with that personally... but please consider that others feel differently.

that #### American League adding the DH. 3 generations of pitchers weren't able to hit .100 for their lifetome

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Sounds like the title of a 1950s horror movie. 🙂

blame the Al and VFW

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

You’re making my point for me.  Drum Corps is no longer special. Why go see something that looks like any other garden variety marching band with over-produced flamboyant pseudo off-Broadway props?

Im holding out hope though!  Maybe it’s just like a disturbing fashion trend that will work its way out - like crocs. 

drum corps is very special to many, just not you. special is in the eye of the grizzled beer holder

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Oh, you are free to feel what you wish. Each of us are. We are posting our opinions here, that's all.

If I were made king of DCI, I'd wave my scepter and create an "anything goes" division, with no limits on size or instrumentation. That is my own preference. I do not expect anybody else to agree. It is just my view.

My hunch is that, even with your "advanced" age, you may see your wish in your lifetime.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

You’re making my point for me.  Drum Corps is no longer special. Why go see something that looks like any other garden variety marching band with over-produced flamboyant pseudo off-Broadway props?

Im holding out hope though!  Maybe it’s just like a disturbing fashion trend that will work its way out - like crocs. 

You still don't see who actually did what to who and how any of this came about. It's a trend decades in the making. Not going anywhere.

As far as special. You do understand every decade of members says it about the other including your decade. As great as Kingsmen were, and I did love them , you did march in the drum corps is dead era.

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

because high school bands don't charge that

well some do.a few I guess.lol..i taught a band in Calif over 10 years ago and a guard member cost was over 4000.00 it was for both winter and fall.. But yes most don't..lol

I also had a winter program " HS" ( North east ) it was about 1500..some programs its minimal or even free I guess

Edited by GUARDLING

7 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

That a very fair statement I would say. I wonder if they would increase the max size of corps to accommodate if that becomes the case.  

Would have to add a bus so added cost vs added dues revenue would be interesting 

33 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Would have to add a bus so added cost vs added dues revenue would be interesting 

From what I've seen from the tax returns, dues do not cover all expenses, so adding members will only result in cost savings if they can bring new sources of donations or at least fill vacant seats on buses. Their food costs are the same. Uniforms are the same, well they need gloves with fingers cut out.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

You still don't see who actually did what to who and how any of this came about. It's a trend decades in the making. Not going anywhere.

As far as special. You do understand every decade of members says it about the other including your decade. As great as Kingsmen were, and I did love them , you did march in the drum corps is dead era.

Well said. People forget that a major, if not the major reason DCI was formed was due to the restrictions and judging of VFW and American Legion. It was formed to keep the activity moving forward. It was controversial. We tend to forget that  Old school darlings such as 27th, Bridgemen, Muchachos, Kilties, Troopers, and yes Kingsmen were innovative in their day.

I’ve said this before, I have followed drum corps since I was 12 years old in 1975, and “this isn’t drum corps” has been a frequent complaint since that time. No question my favorite era is long past, and I would love to see more tradition, but I also wonder if drum corps did not change over the years, would I be complaining it’s the same old, same old.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Well said. People forget that a major, if not the major reason DCI was formed was due to the restrictions and judging of VFW and American Legion. It was formed to keep the activity moving forward. It was controversial. We tend to forget that  Old school darlings such as 27th, Bridgemen, Muchachos, Kilties, Troopers, and yes Kingsmen were innovative in their day.

I’ve said this before, I have followed drum corps since I was 12 years old in 1975, and “this isn’t drum corps” has been a frequent complaint since that time. No question my favorite era is long past, and I would love to see more tradition, but I also wonder if drum corps did not change over the years, would I be complaining it’s the same old, same old.

I started 1974 and already Sr corps had done away with the starting and finish lines. I have dvds of shows with those lines 1967, 1969 and 1972 and same old, same old describes it for me. Then on a certain fb group that’s considered real drum corps by some so go figure...

Edited by JimF-LowBari