Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

To me this is impossible to do,  as they are integral elements of drum corps today. Trying to do that is like saying I love the brass, but I am going to ignore the mellophones. It puts a person on the road to failure in liking modern drum corps, IMO.

I started in drum corps in late 1963, when I was 10. We had single snares, single tenors, flat "thumper" bass drums and cymbals in the drumline. That was it. Of course I loved it, and I still love it. For me, I have to adapt to change, or just walk away. Luckily, I have loved drum corps all through the ages, and I hope to continue. One of my all time favorite shows is from 1969, the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights from Newark, NJ. On the other end, BD's "Felliniesque" and Crown's "Relentless" are also on the list, as is the Blue Knights "Avian", with a bunch in between. For me, I love what each era has done with the activity.

I can absolutely respect that. And the good news is, different peole are able to view and listen to the activity through different eyes

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 10:19 PM, HockeyDad said:

“Keep the activity moving forward “. Haha haha. What does that even mean?  Nothing but a feel-good. 

Actually, one could interpret it to mean everything last year is so "last year".  Keep following the designs of BOA, WGI, etc.  Never sit still and never let anything become "legacy".

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Actually, one could interpret it to mean everything last year is so "last year".  Keep following the designs of BOA, WGI, etc.  Never sit still and never let anything become "legacy".

Ok. But listening to Don Warren tell the story, he never mentioned any of this being the reason they broke away from VFW / American Legion. It was $$.

Edited by HockeyDad

54 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Ok. But listening to Don Warren tell the story, he never mentioned any of this being the reason they broke away from VFW / American Legion. It was $$.

Not dozens but hundreds of times he said being part of the archaic VFW and legion rules was ruining drum corps and corps needed to be out from under that thumb. And yes I personally heard it from many of the iconic founding members. That's not even arguable

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Not dozens but hundreds of times he said being part of the archaic VFW and legion rules was ruining drum corps and corps needed to be out from under that thumb. And yes I personally heard it from many of the iconic founding members. That's not even arguable

The money part was Corps being able to get higher prize money so they wouldn’t be running on a shoestring. Feeling was VFW was very stingy with the corps at the nationals. And of course VFW (aka you know who) refused to even discuss the matter

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

The money part was Corps being able to get higher prize money so they wouldn’t be running on a shoestring. Feeling was VFW was very stingy with the corps at the nationals. And of course VFW (aka you know who) refused to even discuss the matter

Yes true and the rules , especially given the times were something corps were done with. Corps felt they were for sure being held back.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

Just now, GUARDLING said:

Yes true and the rules , especially given the times where something corps were done with. Corps felt they were for sure being held back.

Yep and Juniors broke with VFW to form DCI just as Seniors broke with AL to form DCA few years earlier. Seniors problem was judging and rules, not sure about the $$$$

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep and Juniors broke with VFW to form DCI just as Seniors broke with AL to form DCA few years earlier. Seniors problem was judging and rules, not sure about the $$$$

Yep, a lot of it was the same. Have to remember some of those DCA people although were not some of the big DCI names of the times were a part of both and meetings as well as ideas floated back and forth.  One was Jim Costello ( Cabs ) was very influential on all sides of the activity in those times. As well as those who surrounded him.

Edited by GUARDLING

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

Yes true and the rules , especially given the times were something corps were done with. Corps felt they were for sure being held back.

Not to mention there was no consistency between the VFW and AL rules, and then add in different sheets for shows like the World Open and it got to be very confusing. The World Open in 71, for example, had 30 points for GE, while VFW had 10. Plus the VFW had the 10-point Inspection and 10-point Cadence captions. On the plus side, we were tied for 1st in both Inspection and Cadence!   😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1