Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Ahhh.... finally, someone asks the pivotal question!

(the popcorn is on the stove...)

Yes, but for every 1 marching member don't we potentially pick up many many more fans? Possible fans anyway.

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Have an early 70s recording of Groucho Marx at Carnegie(?). Part of his talk is a tribute to Jack Benny and his violin playing. 

“so in honor of Jack I’m taking this violin” (crunching sounds) “ and breaking it”.

somehow that thought just popped in my head after 40+ years...

I hear there are entire senior communities that focus on dementia care.  Parties there must be a riot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, denmum said:

You might be right, but would that necessarily be a bad thing? If they could fill all 100 yds. with brass players and big sound wouldn't the "whole" audience appreciate that and not just the center section?

There's pros and cons. that many bodies expenses definitely go up, and no guarantee revenues match it

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

There's pros and cons. that many bodies expenses definitely go up, and no guarantee revenues match it

54 new bodies on a bus is something like $200,000 in additional revenue.  Subtract expenses and one gets net.

The activity has been supplementing student tours since day one with every donated dollar, hour, or instrument.  The last I looked, show budgets for 150 kids are averaging close to $1million.  150 members x $4,000 tour fees is around $600,000 (plus some for camps and stuff).

I don't think anyone seriously considering the idea is thinking that new MM positions will pay for themselves.  But then, they haven't thought that for a long, long time (in WC anyway).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

I hear there are entire senior communities that focus on dementia care.  Parties there must be a riot.

Why was the 100 year old woman so emotional? She was centi-mental.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, garfield said:

Worked with a guy close to my age and at early 50s had some nasty views that bordered on paranoia. Last year he passed from early onset dementia at 61. That’s some scary stuf....

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Forget who but “everybody” and that eubie doobie doo (trying to imitate Sinatra) acronym was not involved so doubt it...😆

EBBUB. Which spawned EBBUBERY. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Why does “natural progression” have to include the death of the activity?  It’s still “Drum Corps” now (barely) even with all the added decorations, amps, vocals, et. al.

If DCI adds woodwinds with the belief it will lead to financial gain - I get it - but just don’t call it “Drum Corps” because by definition it won’t be.  It will be just a marching band summer league - no big deal.

When contras were added circa 1960, there was at least one letter to the editor of DCN  bemoaning their addition as it was changing drum corps to band.

• Like 1