Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

18 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

The difference being it was a modification of a BUGLE not the introduction of a completely different class of instrument. This is a false comparison. 

In their minds, it was no longer a bugle with those modifications.

I know some of you weren't around when people were on here were arguing for hundreds of pages over dictionary definitions about what a "bugle" was when Bb was legalized back in '00, and how allowing Bb annihilated the very idea of what made a drum corps unique from a marching band.  It was very real, and their arguments were exactly the same as we have in this here gem of a thread.  And that was a smaller change than going from valveless to valved.  

I've been descriptive and fact-based in what I've said, not argumentative.  I don't care how you or anybody else defines "bugle". 

I think some on here have a hard time distinguishing between people saying the following:

1. Woodwinds belong in DCI. 

2. Woodwinds are most likely coming to DCI soon. 

I think most of the good posters on here are saying #2, but some crazies conflate it with #1 for reasons passing understanding.   

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lance said:

In their minds, it was no longer a bugle with those modifications.

I know some of you weren't around when people were on here were arguing for hundreds of pages over dictionary definitions about what a "bugle" was when Bb was legalized back in '00, and how allowing Bb annihilated the very idea of what made a drum corps unique from a marching band.  It was very real, and their arguments were exactly the same as we have in this here gem of a thread.  And that was a smaller change than going from valveless to valved.  

I've been descriptive and fact-based in what I've said, not argumentative.  I don't care how you or anybody else defines "bugle". 

I think some on here have a hard time distinguishing between people saying the following:

1. Woodwinds belong in DCI. 

2. Woodwinds are most likely coming to DCI soon. 

I think most of the good posters on here are saying #2, but some crazies conflate it with #1 for reasons passing understanding.   

and then there are the posters on this and other sites that make it sound like woodwind players are "victims" because they are "deprived" of the DCI experience on the instrument of their choice. Narcissism at its worst.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seen-it-all said:

Perhaps because the one characteristic that has always separated the two is excellence, and it always will.

A few pages back, several enlightened posters who have followed the activity for decades pointed out that drum corps of the 1960s had this attitude of superiority to, and derision toward, marching band.  The word bigotry comes to mind.  

You are not the first to suggest that corps = band + excellence.  I just wonder why no one points out the very same bigotry involved in that thought.

24 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

A few pages back, several enlightened posters who have followed the activity for decades pointed out that drum corps of the 1960s had this attitude of superiority to, and derision toward, marching band.  The word bigotry comes to mind.  

You are not the first to suggest that corps = band + excellence.  I just wonder why no one points out the very same bigotry involved in that thought.

Should be corps = band devoid of any reality in the real music world.

3 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

I think OP has a bit more vested interest than most as he used recordings of corps (among other things certainly) to demo the cables and other gear that he sells. Amplification ruins the nuances that could have been recorded. So it’s obviously less interesting to him. 

So your connotation is that he's leaving because he can no longer make it profitable for his business?

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Anytime the word “enlightened” or “bigotry” is used in the context of drum corps vs. band attitudes a shark has been jumped. 

59 minutes ago, garfield said:

So your connotation is that he's leaving because he can no longer make it profitable for his business?

Not really. Just less interesting for him. I‘m sure economics plays a factor because the recording wasn’t cheap. I didn’t go deeply into motivation so as to open the audiophile versus plain old speaker cable debates. 

17 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Anytime the word “enlightened” or “bigotry” is used in the context of drum corps vs. band attitudes a shark has been jumped. 

Yea, ridiculous. Lots of over sensitivity. Geez.

3 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Yea, ridiculous. Lots of over sensitivity. Geez.

When I see “entitlement” then we’ve nuked the fridge 😛