Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

Started in 1974. Marched for six years. Enjoyed every minute of it. Have not agreed with many of the rule changes, but have to admit, I was wrong on a few. I think drum corps shows are better then the every have been. There is nothing more exciting then sitting in good seats at the finals. Although I absolutely hate Indianapolis, I do enjoy the shows. I attended my last DCI final, two years ago. I will not spend the money to travel to Indianapolis. I have only missed two DCI finals, since 74. If they ever decide to move the finals to a different city, I would happily  attend. Indianapolis has nothing to offer and my family and drum corps friends are not interested in returning. I said goodbye to finals two years ago. :(

Edited by brassboy62

28 minutes ago, MikeD said:

The lack of woodwinds does not make drum corps a "better quality product".  

For music on a football field, it does.  It always has.  Why else do you think there was so much interest in drum corps to create and sustain a national touring entity, "Drum Corps International"?  If marching band was a better quality product, it should have done the same before drum corps ever did.

3 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Jeff Ream for "DCI Brass Coordinator"

I'm the "Old Corps Guy" and I approve this message.:lol:

Nope. I wouldn't do that to myself or the corps.

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Their inclusion won’t make them better either. 

For these WW kids that apparently want to be in Drum Corps so bad, why can’t they learn how to play a different instrument. I did, and so did others. It’s not that hard if you’re motivated

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

I agree with this statement.  But, being all brass and percussion certainly makes it a different product, a unique product, and a product that is defined in the very nature of the name "drum & bugle corps."  It is not a question of "better."

54 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Their inclusion won’t make them better either. 

For these WW kids that apparently want to be in Drum Corps so bad, why can’t they learn how to play a different instrument. I did, and so did others. It’s not that hard if you’re motivated

YES- thank you!  There are a bunch of ww players in DCI now.  Always have been.  A great player is a great player.  With hard work a talented ww player can certainly learn brass and participate.  I did.  Lots of other kids I know did.  Would any of us rather played our woodwinds in DCI?  NO WAY!!  Then it wouldn't be DCI, would it?  Being a woodwind player made the experience even deeper and more meaningful to me.  Opened my eyes to a completely new family of instruments.  After starting from scratch and going through all the work it took, I truly learned you can do anything you set your mind to do.  Would I have wanted to be in DCI if it were just summer marching band?  No way.  

Edited by Guitar1974
  • Like 1

Being from BITD I’ve seen a bunch of non-excellent corps and still enjoy what they tried (emphasis on tried) to do. Speaking for myself only always enjoyed the horn and percussion sound and anything else got in the way of hearing that. (Have cds of shows going back to early 50s) Knowing the activity is not going to survive on what I spend on it they can do whatever it takes to survive. If I don’t like it enough to stick around I can walk away without heartburn. Walked away before due to life changes and was less painful (not at all) than thought.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Seems to me, every new music producer, that is not a brass instrument, comes at the expense of playing time by the brass. At least to some extent, from an entire (new instrument) ensemble segment to just a featured solo. BIG BRASS IMPACT (a crowd pleaser every time) becomes less likely.  I want BIG BRASS to remain the “Star of the Show,” Center Stage attraction.

Yes, percussion at this level is also spectacular !
 🤭

• Like 3